Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am thinking about buying a jem .... was gotta get a 7v but now i have another option a fp... please vote for both guitar for the one i should get. but b4 that i want to ask that whats the difference between wood on 2 guitars. which one is better? and why?thanks guys. soon response will be good. u guys might be able to see another jem user soon:p

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
RG3120 said:
i am thinking about buying a jem .... was gotta get a 7v but now i have another option a fp... please vote for both guitar for the one i should get. but b4 that i want to ask that whats the difference between wood on 2 guitars. which one is better? and why?thanks guys. soon response will be good. u guys might be able to see another jem user soon:p
A 7V? That isnt a Jem. I would get the FP.

Winnipeg? I have a friend who lives there. She does shows and stuff.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Fp and 7V , well 7V is not better than Fp and Fp is not better than 7V , Just sound and look different . I Have a 7VWH because when i was searching for a jem i could only buy a VWH from evil Bay .
But now whitout no doubt i'd go for a jem777FP but my 7VWH is sound and play great . So you know what : GO TO A STORE AND TRY BOTH , you'll see by yourself .
(I think the price is the same ....)

Cheers from New Caledonia
Cédric

PS: Or you can even buy both if you have the money !!!! (lol)

·
Registered
403 Posts
in my opinion, the FP is the best "old style" JEM ever made. It sounds great, doesn't matter what is the style you to play (from Funk to Metal).

The 7V is probably the best "new style" JEM and has AANJ. EVO's sounds great but I have heard many people not happy with it's sound, basically because they expect something similar to PAF's. Be careful with this.

So if you're looking to play Vai's Sounds, go for the 7V and if you just want to have a JEM to play different styles, go for the FP

(I had same doubts and finally decided to get the FP)

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I have both and, more than anything, the differences are subtle. The FP's Paf Pros are directmounted in basswood while the 7VSBL has Evolutions in alder, but all that's been discussed. The 7V is a bit hotter and yields a fuller sound while the FP sounds (I'm at loss for the word I really want here) natural or granola.

Oh yeah, older FPs also had directmounted pups. All FPs have the old block-style heel joint.

Another comparison that may be unique to my pair: the 7V's neck is much smoother than the FPs.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
7V - Alder - Pickguard mounted Evo pickups - Ebony or Rosewood board - AANJ - Lo Pro or Edge Pro bridge...

77FP - Basswood - Direct mounted Paf Pro pickups (rear routed) - Rosewood board - Old style heel - Edge, Lo Pro or Edge Pro bridge (on the 15th aniversary model)

I personally would get a 77FP... really like the feel of cloth under clear :D and if possible, i would LOVE to get a mint '88 with an original Edge on it...

·
Registered
422 Posts
really depends what you're going for. Compare Vai's old sound (as in, Whitesnake, Flexable, PAW) to his new-ER sound (ALS is best example, but also a few songs on Ultra Zone, etc.). The PAF Pro through a Marshall sounds gritty but focused, and is great for rythm and lead. The Evo's through a Marshall is a lead sound. Very expressive midrange with high output, but not the greatest in the world for rythm. You can get it done, but listen to the rythm work on RI:reflections and you'll get the idea. It's like hitting a stump with a sledgehammer if you don't have a mid scoop. Personally I'd go for the FP by far.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Praetorian said:
really depends what you're going for. Compare Vai's old sound (as in, Whitesnake, Flexable, PAW) to his new-ER sound (ALS is best example, but also a few songs on Ultra Zone, etc.). The PAF Pro through a Marshall sounds gritty but focused, and is great for rythm and lead. The Evo's through a Marshall is a lead sound. Very expressive midrange with high output, but not the greatest in the world for rythm. You can get it done, but listen to the rythm work on RI:reflections and you'll get the idea. It's like hitting a stump with a sledgehammer if you don't have a mid scoop. Personally I'd go for the FP by far.
actaully a lot of the RI rythm work was done with vai's old sticker strat.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
The FP was the first Jem I have ever played and I remember when I first bought my 7620 back in '98, I saw one standing right next to the 7620. It was tempting but I think I made the right choice in getting the 7620 which I still currently own and will forever. I went back to see the FP and it was gone. It's always been one of my favorite Jems. I'd love to own one even though Im strictly a 7-string player, Id own that for a 6-string in a heartbeat. :)

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
What's the difference? One is a beautiful guitar and the other is covered in a hideous my-grandmother's-wallpaper floral pattern. :)

But seriously, the only thing that matters is which one YOU like better. There are differences in pickups, neck joint, etc. The floral probably has a better resale value in the long run due to availability.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts