Ibanez JEM Forum banner

21 - 40 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
btweensunandmoon said:
i'm wondering....will this be more prone to fading than your average swirl paint job?
The process uses Resin thermal, it is UV proof, water proof and scrach proof. The Resin is applyed at a 1000 F.

iain, if I have a lagre enough jpg of it, yes I could.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
I think......

I will wait for the 3d tessalation applique, then I'd like to see a 3d landscape say in bryce, and followed by a nice Penthouse pinup.

The possibilities are limitless....want an agent?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
934 Posts
So when you say you used 2 very large stickers, I presume you mean one for the front+sides and one for the rear. How does it look where the edges meet. Very noticeable?
Bert
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
stratoskier said:
So when you say you used 2 very large stickers, I presume you mean one for the front+sides and one for the rear. How does it look where the edges meet. Very noticeable?
Bert
If left as is you can see where the pattern meet. You can over lap them about 2 inchs over what you need and then slice in a non straite line ( to through peopls eye's off) and you wont see it. Or you can camo the meeting zone with air brush.

Thing to keep in mind is people look for a seam that meets at the side or center, so if you cut along let say the red swirl and made that your seam, no one would see it. On a Jem it dont matter because its flat so you put the seam at the edge. On a JS you have to hide the seam because how curvy it is and there is no "side" as it rounded on the sides.

I can post pics to show you what I mean I you like? You'll have to wait tell I get off work though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Tubarão Guitars said:
Seems cool, but NOT TOO cool like a REAL SWIRL.
Anyway, you're a swirler too......
Great job! :D
Tubarão
Real swirl? What is real? Swirl is a pattern. I know what you ment ;)

Being that I have swirled with paint and now this, guess with I like better. I can put cool effects in my fratal swirls ;) plus if someone wanted it done they could send in a pic of what they wanted or pic from a random swirl pattern and see it before its done. Say you want a Donnie ;)

Do you think people wouldnt like it because it wasnt dunked into a tank of water with paint floating?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
934 Posts
OK, thanks for answering the seam question. Now here's another question: for material finishes, it's recommended that the body be stipped down to bare wood. That is because glue adhesion to anything but raw wood is apparently unreliable. At least, that's the way it's described on Project Guitar http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/mat.htm? and elsewhere. So do you think the same is true with applying the vinyl?
 

·
Vendor
Joined
·
26,331 Posts
To be serious, there's no way a printer will capture all the eye appeal you get with a good swirl, it may look fine in a picture from feet away, but in hand the difference would be night and day. And no, I for one do not want to see more copy donnies floating around. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,991 Posts
Your vinyl "fractal swirls" are a lot like fake breasts:

Sure, they LOOK ok from a distance, and they may be amusing to look at. But, as soon as you have one in your hands, it just leaves you thinking "what's the point?". I'll take the real thing 100% of the time. There's simply no substitute for REAL works of art! ;)

It's like comparing a PRINT of a VanGogh to the real deal. Cheap filler with no artistic integrity behind it. The fact that it potentially opens up the door for even more fraudulent copies of other graphic guitar makes the idea even less appealing.

Just an opinion though ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
stratoskier said:
OK, thanks for answering the seam question. Now here's another question: for material finishes, it's recommended that the body be stipped down to bare wood. That is because glue adhesion to anything but raw wood is apparently unreliable. At least, that's the way it's described on Project Guitar http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/mat.htm? and elsewhere. So do you think the same is true with applying the vinyl?
Yes, this was done on a sanded down body. I'm using a 3M vinyl that is very tacky (100 mph vinyl like what is used on autos).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Rich wrote:
To be serious, there's no way a printer will capture all the eye appeal you get with a good swirl, it may look fine in a picture from feet away, but in hand the difference would be night and day. And no, I for one do not want to see more copy donnies floating around.
To tell you the truth given a scale to go by Real (as in paint) being 100% and printed being (as in your HP deskjet) The is 90% like paint. This IS " Resin thermal" not your home HP printer, go to www.rolanddga.com and take a look at the specks. As you see it in the photos above, so it is up close. It is very cool. And no, no Donnie remakes

Your right its not real paint, but that don't mean it doesn't look cool. Look at the Forest and Electric rain bows JS's. You think they painted each of them by hand? Nope, it's not cost affective. Also I would like to state I never said that this was better then that. I was trying something different. Good thing I didn't let my son draw on it with markers, could imagine what you guys would have said.

vaijem777, I'm sorry, I respect your opinion but your being very close minded. Sure a electric guitar isnt an acoustic guitar but there are good things about both. Same in this case. The way it looks in them pics is the same way it looks up close. "REAL" works of art? My art professor would be truning in his grave if he read that, you mean this type of art does not appeal to you. I guess Dreamworks should pen and paper. "fraudulent copies" I wouldnt not copy anybodys work, I could but I wont.

I'm sorry you guys feel this way, hell I feel like a man running a guntlet with people tossing rocks. I was just showing a new way to costume your guitar. I regret post it now. :/
 

·
Vendor
Joined
·
26,331 Posts
HDS said:
Your right its not real paint, but that don't mean it doesn't look cool. Look at the Forest and Electric rain bows JS's. You think they painted each of them by hand? Nope, it's not cost affective.
Sorry to burst your bubble but they were all painted, one at a time. There's a reason they were the most expensive Ibanez you could buy in 92' ;)

No matter how good the printer, the end result is only going to be as good as what it's told to print ;)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,482 Posts
i'm not into veneers of anything, but a photo can easily capture what is painted, especially primitive paintings like on the ibanez guitars... those are not exactly what i would call "brilliant' in artistic merit. Grade-schoolers could replicate them and if steve/joe played them people would go bonkers over them.

your mileage will vary ;) ...glen
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,991 Posts
Look at the Forest and Electric rain bows JS's. You think they painted each of them by hand?
Wow...way to do your homework! ;)

There's no need to regret posting- what you've done is mildly interesting, and certainly different. But- you're here among people who appreciate the work of ATD and the artists who did the original JS graphics. Why? Because each one is completely, 100% unique and has a certain ammount of blood, sweat and tears put into it. That in itself creates a product far more interesting than one that is created with a series of mouse clicks and the press of a "Print" button. The accuracy of whatever you can print off will not change that simple fact. Technology is still no subsitute for the purity of unique, man-made works of art. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Rich said:
HDS said:
Your right its not real paint, but that don't mean it doesn't look cool. Look at the Forest and Electric rain bows JS's. You think they painted each of them by hand? Nope, it's not cost affective.
Sorry to burst your bubble but they were all painted, one at a time. There's a reason they were the most expensive Ibanez you could buy in 92' ;)

No matter how good the printer, the end result is only going to be as good as what it's told to print ;)
Ok, I didnt know that. I stand corrected.

Oh your last statement made no since. Art is an eye of the beholder, some people love 3D art. Other posters said it was cool, so I guess they dont matter?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,991 Posts
HDS said:
You guys seem very... Defensive, why? Can someone whos dont have a white and blue tag chime in?
I don't think anybody's being defensive- we're just being HONEST. ;)
It is what it is: you have an expensive, specialized printer and you're attempting to digitally reproduce a very unique art form. It's about as welcome as an all-techno, no-guitar Steve Vai album would be.
 

·
Vendor
Joined
·
26,331 Posts
jemsite said:
i'm not into veneers of anything, but a photo can easily capture what is painted, especially primitive paintings like on the ibanez guitars... those are not exactly what i would call "brilliant' in artistic merit. Grade-schoolers could replicate them and if steve/joe played them people would go bonkers over them.

your mileage will vary ;) ...glen
Obviously you'd be laughing hidiously walking through the MOMA, but since you own the site we'll let you have your opinion, even though it lacks taste ;)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,482 Posts
LOL. something can be cool (pleasurable to the eye) but still lacking in artistic excellence. the two are mutually exclusive entities ;) ...glen
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Thank you Glen, and you are right. If Joe and Steve played them, everyone would think they were the best thing since sliced bread. You gave me an idea. I'm going to post the photos over to Joe's site and get their take.

I was never trying to sway anyone from anything. This was just a "hey look what I did.
 
21 - 40 of 186 Posts
Top