Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as title says - anyone had any experience with that setup?

was thinking of giving it a go as the fred i've got is not f spaced and the paf pro is...

does it make a HUGE difference if you used non f spaced on original edge?

·
Registered
735 Posts
The F-spaced does not make a HUGE difference, IMO, but it is a difference. Not as big a dfference as, say, different model pickups. I think the bigger issue is that the Fred is higher output (not by much, but higher) and you'd have to balance the pickup heights a bit to get a balance. You should give it a shot, though, and let us know how it turns out!

·
Super Moderator
2,516 Posts
My understanding was that F-space was just for cosmetic so the strings lined up over the pickup poles better. Performance was not affected. I believe there are many threads covering this so search may produce some info for you.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The F-spaced does not make a HUGE difference, IMO, but it is a difference. Not as big a dfference as, say, different model pickups. I think the bigger issue is that the Fred is higher output (not by much, but higher) and you'd have to balance the pickup heights a bit to get a balance. You should give it a shot, though, and let us know how it turns out!
just had a quick butcher's at the dimarzio site and the outpupt difference is Paf Pro 300 and Fred 305 - would it make that much difference the other way round? i'm assuming if that is the case you'd have to tinker with all pickups in whatever position?

it would be nice to have some input from someone has actually tried this (if they do exist!!)

·
Registered
735 Posts
Yep- you'd have to keep the Fred height up to balance it with a PAF Pro in the neck as they are so close in output. It is easier to balance it, if height clearance is an issue, with a higher output bridge pickup. But most guitars give you enough room to work with.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts