Jem Ibanez Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,516 Posts
I have tried all day to down load it with no luck. Guess a lot of people are trying and tying up the server.

·
Premium Member
9,592 Posts
I haven't listened to DT since Six Degrees. They kind of got too far up their own asses for me, but I'd still be interested in checking this out. There's no arguing that they are absolute fcking monster players, but I can only take so many 25+ minute songs.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
I listened to the new track this morning and my initial impression was "This kinda feels like it belongs on Scenes From A Memory. Cool." Amazing playing, strong LaBrie performance, etc. However it's now 2 1/2 hours later and I can't for the life of me remember the song itself, which is how I felt with the last 2 albums too. Hopefully after a few more listens it'll become as memorable as it is technically impressive.

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
You forget the rules of music.. The more you listen to something the more it becomes memorable.. Which is why radio stations get away with playing crappy music and having the audacity to put it in a category called top 40.. Trying to tell us dumb listeners that these are the best top 40 songs currently on the planet...

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
I like the new song alright, but I'm not as much of a fan of when Mike sings along with James, and the song a has a ton of that. I love DT, I admit they have some really long and overly complex peices and the vocals aren't always well concieved but all in all I like it.

I have to say however, that I'm a bigger fan of Liquid Tension.

·
Super Moderator
2,516 Posts
Finally listened to it. The chorus is good, but I agree with the dislike of Mike's singing. I think if they had an outside producer they might make songs a little more musical. I agree with Pete about it sounding a bit like Scenes From A Memory, which I also like.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
I like the new song alright, but I'm not as much of a fan of when Mike sings along with James, and the song a has a ton of that.
Yeah, just because Mike WANTS to sing doesn't necessarily mean he SHOULD... or rather, if he wants to sing he should invest some serious time in it so he can hang with LaBrie. I don't like when he just barks stuff out - it sounds a little bit garage and doesn't really fit.

Cool guy though. I interviewed him once and you've really gotta respect his enthusiasm and dedication, and of course freakish skill.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
I think if they had an outside producer they might make songs a little more musical.
Yeah I think so, it'd just have to be the right guy because Portnoy is a self confessed OCD control freak. I think they did better when they stayed closer to the style of SFAM and SDOIT. They got heavy but not near as heavy as they get now. I like the metal riffs a lot but, I just don't think the whole band is as cohesive on those songs. It's kind of hard to describe.

For example, on Train Of Thought I thought the guitar, bass and drums were killer and brutal but the band wasn't using all of everyones skill as well as it was used on SFAM and earlier records. And I think the same is true on Systematic Chaos, on some songs like, "In The Presence Of Enemies 1 and 2" they sound cohesive and like a band, but on songs like the, "Dark Eternal Night" it sounds like Petrucci and Portnoy (sometimes Myung) and some other guys trying to play along. That didn't happen as much on SFAM and before or on SDOIT. The right producer could help that a lot.

I get the feeling, lately, that they are trying to hide some of James' lost ability and how he doesn't fit the really heavy styles by mixing it with Mikes voice. I think in one way it's honorable to be loyal like that, James supposedly ruptured his vocal chords from having food poisoning a while ago. That's why he's not hitting those old super high notes all the time now. But you know, as the band brings in more really heavy styles and so on it doesn't always fit so maybe it's time to look elsewhere in my opinion. Or they could curtail their excess into chugga metal and help their cohesiveness.

·
Super Moderator
2,516 Posts
I thought that James had recovered and was able to hit the high notes. But you are right, sometimes he doesn't fit the more metal approach. I prefer songs like Forsaken to Dark Eternal Night because James has more space to sing and do what he can.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
I thought that James had recovered and was able to hit the high notes. But you are right, sometimes he doesn't fit the more metal approach. I prefer songs like Forsaken to Dark Eternal Night because James has more space to sing and do what he can.
If he's fully recovered then that's great and he does sound good on the Two most recent DVDs when playing the older songs. But that's kind of my point. I agree on songs like FOrsaken and such he has a lot of room to be used to his full potential. The songs when they let everyone have room are better than the songs in which Portnoy and Petrucci get the metal out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts