Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planing to add carbon fiber + epoxy to my rosewood fingerboard to give a look like parker fly guitars, so anyone had experiences doing this before?

·
Registered
3,922 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,116 Posts
This will ABSOLUTELY screw up you fretboard. Just like Linux said........ all of the important measurements of your neck will be wrong, making the guitar pretty much unplayable.

Have a new fretboard made to the correct specs if you want to do this.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking in this two options:

1) cover one by one the rosewood parts of the neck with carbon fiber + epoxy without removing the frets then sand to clean up the frets and just leave the carbon fiber under rosewood.

2) Remove all frets, cover the fretboard with carbon fiber + epoxy with vacuum process and then re measure and glue brand new frets as parker does on their guitars.

3) Just add epoxy + black color to the rosewood fingerboard without removing frets and then sand again to remove extra epoxy from frets with this option I want a black fretboard looking like ebony without the ebony.

·
Premium Member
10,116 Posts
option 1 will leave your frets too short to properly "fret" your notes when playing.

option 2 will put your whole freboard too high for the nut. You could raise the nut the same amount as you did the fretboard, but then that will throw off your string angle at the headstock. you would also have to raise you bridge. There is also a possibility that the extra strength of the Carbon Fiber would make the neck relief very difficult/ impossible to set with the tension rod.

option 3 is your best choice if it only changes the color and does NOT raise the height of your fretboard.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
dude please dont. do the back of the neck and the headstock. please dont do the fingerboard and add to the junk people do to guitars.

if anything else get some of that (real carbon vynil) it looks very real and you can trim it out for the frets and off the sides and junk it when your ready to.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I just need to do it, I'm not ****ing the fretboard, the reason why I'm doing this is because rosewood + my fingers = acid sweat and that kills the strings after two hours of playing, I discovered this when I bought my Parker and the problem suddenly ended.

So I need to cover that rosewood with epoxy, black epoxy because I don't like the fiber carbon looks in the fingerboard, I want a parker like fretboard.

About option 2, you are right, I'll also need to add that layer to the nut, in this case floyd rose nut, and rise up the bridge, the truss rod I think will be fine (correct me if I'm wrong) because Parker Fly guitars have truss rod like the rest of the guitars and also moses necks which are made completelly of carbon fiber.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Moses and Parker doesn't produce 7 strings necks.

Then I was trying to find a non woody fretboard replacement neck like Moses or Parker so I have no choice to create this mod.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
this is real ****in easy dude.

Step 1) Buy Ebony Stain

Step 2) Apply Ebony Stain

Step 3) Buy Polyurethane

Step 4) Apply Polyurethane

Step 5) ????

Step 6) PROFIT!

edit: get the carbon fiber idea out of your head right now. Its dumb. I was being polite before. Do you have any idea how thick wet layed carbon fiber is?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Nope I don't know that's why I was thinking to sand a good part of the neck.

By the way how the polyurethane will be applied, or what else do I need to know for applying this.

That option sounds good to me, I haven't even think about it but since you are mentioned about this, now this seems to be the solution to my problems :D

One question about polyurethane, is it as resistant as epoxy is?

I'm asking this because the reason why epoxy seems to be my solution was because Is really a hard material, actually is not easy to scratch with simple nails, as paint will do so that was one of the reasons I choose epoxy.

Another reason why I choose epoxy was because It was used by Moses and Parker guitars, also because other synthetic material (Phenolic) was not very well recommended so my best option was epoxy.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Nope I don't know that's why I was thinking to sand a good part of the neck.

By the way how the polyurethane will be applied, or what else do I need to know for applying this.

That option sounds good to me, I haven't even think about it but since you are mentioned about this, now this seems to be the solution to my problems :D

One question about polyurethane, is it pretty resistant as epoxy?

I'm asking this because the reason why epoxy seems to be my solution was because Is really a hard material, actually is not easy to scratch with simple nails, as paint will do so that was one of the reasons I choose epoxy.
polyurethane is hard as ****. You can get some hand rub poly stuff at walmart for like 8 bucks.

·
Registered
554 Posts
If you are worried about your hands killing the strings, try Elixir or DR coated strings.

For the poly, you would want to to hand rub it in to get a thin coating. Tape off the frets. You will get some overlap on to the back of the neck unless you mask things off properly.

You could also look at getting a new neck with an ebony fretboard.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ebony and Rosewood are oiled woods, and most likely I'm gonna have the same problems.

Those Elixir strings seem to kill frets faster than normal strings that's why I don't use them.

Right now I'm applying Epoxy to the frets and they are starting to look awesome, I'll put some pictures when I finish it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts