Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a neck with no frets installed, I need to take the fretboard off, what is the best way to take it off without ruining the board??

Will I have to install frets and then heat the fingerboard? Or can I use a steam iron without the frets installed, to loosen up the glue.

I read project guitar.com and it says to leave the frets in, otherwise the board will curl.

Anyone ever removed a fretboard without the frets in it?

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I wouldn't fret it first ... but you will have to be VERY careful to avoid breaking the fretboard off at one of the fret slots. If you are having trouble, you might want to add some frets.

Heat and steam are good. Somebody (stewmac or LMI) has a device whereby you drill small holes in the bottom of the fret slots and insert a needle to force steam under the board. You could probably rig something like that as well, since you don't have frets in the way. Of course, you don't want to add too much water to the wood either. Get some thin pallett knives and work it off slowly as the glue softens. Good luck.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I read that article again, and yes he does say it is a matter of preference.....I guess using a shirt would protect the board from damage, a little better??

In my case, I dont have frets so I can't put the iron on the board that way.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts