Ibanez JEM Forum banner

61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
$200 for a piece of plastic is insane, and ERs mess ups arent the customer's problem.
Yeah, but Cid, you're not paying for the plastic, you're paying for the labour, tools, machinery, set up time, experience, rent, employee medical benefits etc etc etc - an Alder body blank should cost about $40, so why does a JEM body, even from a one man operation like Chris Woods, cost about $250? A Dimarzio pickup consists of about 3 bucks of formvar wire and maybe five to six bucks of bits, but it'll cost you from $60 to $120 - knowing how much work actually goes into winding a pickup, I'm more than happy to pay Larry for his company's time and experience.

I'm not trying to defend Ed, I think some of his guitar pricing shows great imagination, but like every business, be it Ibanez, Paul Reed Smith or Ed Roman's Vegas Sparkle Custom Pickguards, you have to factor the cost of the mess - ups into your general business costs - I'd imagine Ed has to pay his luthiers the same hourly rate when they spend three hours chucking a dud pickguard into the bin as he does when they spend the same time successfully sending a 'guard out the door - same with Ibanez or PRS - supposedly the reason the BRMR was so expensive (for a tricked up DBK) was that they had so many bodies they had to reject due to mirror problems - they don't take that cost on the chin, they factor it into the cost of the ones that make it out the door!

I agree that $200 for a bit of plastic is insane, but I have actually sat and handmade a clear lexan Strat pickguard with bevelled and polished edges - it's a huge amount of work, the end product has to be basically flawless otherwise your customer is going to be less than pleased, and cutting a hole for a Strat pickup in a bit of Lexan is really, really tedious! Believe me, back when we were doing things like that they were cheap at about $75AUD - and that's about twenty years ago (dang, there goes my age again!), if someone asked me to do the same today, I wouldn't hesitate to quote it at about $200, and still probably try to avoid the job!

·
Premium Member
9,592 Posts
I understand there are other costs involved, but he's still nuts. Im a low voltage electrician, if I pull the wrong cable for a job, I cant charge all the customers for it, myself or my employer have to eat the cost.

There is no way anyone could justify $200 or even $125 to me, maybe Im just too stubborn

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
I understand there are other costs involved, but he's still nuts. Im a low voltage electrician, if I pull the wrong cable for a job, I cant charge all the customers for it, myself or my employer have to eat the cost.

There is no way anyone could justify $200 or even $125 to me, maybe Im just too stubborn
I never said Ed wasn't nuts.........

He can't be all bad, I mean, even here there are people who defend him pretty vehemently, but some of his comments about instruments like PRS's are just plain crazy, I've looked at, set up, repaired and generally admired hundreds of PRS guitars since the late eighties, and the guitars they make today are every bit as good as the supposedly coveted "vintage" PRSs from the late eighties, and in fact on the higher end instruments, their choice of woods seems to be getting better.

Some of his rants are amusing, some are disturbing, some I find hard to believe (but the one about ghost guitar makers is totally correct BTW), but I do find his loyalty to US made instruments in the broader sense of the US economy a really interesting, if somewhat belligerantly written read - people everywhere complain about Fenders, Gibsons et al being overpriced, but the people who put them together get paid in US dollars, which they spend at the local grocery store, and pay local utility rates, health care and so on - which is what keeps a country's economy going (okay, I'm dramatically oversimplifying here, but you get the gist) - here in Australia, we no longer do a great deal of genuine manufacturing, which means that you end up with a small bunch of exceptionally wealthy people running vast businesses, service industries, and really poorly paid blue collar workers with precious little job security - and unfortunately that is to a degree driven by the incessant belief of consumers that they should be paying less for guitars, PCs, cars, washing machines, custom made silver sparkle pickguards etc etc etc.

Hmmmmm .... I think I might have got a bit off track there ........

Anyway, WD seem to make every pickguard permutation under the sun nowadays, so it's a bit of an academic argument!

Cheers, and good weekend everyone!

David

·
Registered
740 Posts
Final point with regards to the Jem pricing - call it delusions of grandeur - but I honestly believe the Jem pricing at ER Guitars was directly affected by the horrible press, and harassing telephone calls and emails from Jemsiters for almost 10 years.
Wait, he jacked the prices up on his own guitars because he got flamed on here a bit?

Lol.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Wait, he jacked the prices up on his own guitars because he got flamed on here a bit?

Lol.
In a conversation I had with him and through my knowledge of what has gone on with regards to criticism of Ed, it wouldn't surprise me. I think that by jacking up the prices, he has avoided dealing with bargain hunters such as myself. He claims to sell to "royalty" and people who are willing to spend $50k on the entire Jem collection from A to Z (or LNG to 20th.) He doesn't have time for mortals.

I'm bi-polar and this may be one of those delusions of grandeur I experience so often. :lol:

61 - 66 of 66 Posts