Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Of the guitarists that have died far too early in life, which one do you think would have progressed music the most had he lived? I'd love to say Dimebag, but honestly I think he did all he was going to do while he was alive. I'd probably have to say Hendrix on his pure imagination

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
I agree with you on the Dimebag thing, I think he had done all he was going to do. I dont think he would have progressed the music that much to be honest. (No disrespect at all, I love Dimebag, RIP dude). But for me, it has to be Randy Rhoads. He had the stuff to be the best ever......but we never got to find out really did we!

As for Hendrix, I personally think he wouldnt be as "big" now if he didnt die when he did. If Clapton had died instead of Hendrix back then, Clapton would have been 10times the reputation that Hendrix does now. Back then, Clapton was God. I dont think Hendrix would have progressed his music much either to be honest, but I am sure he would still release some good music.

For me though, defenitely Randy Rhoads.

·
Banned
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, the only reason I chose hendrix was cause of the songs he did, NO ONE sounded like him, but clapton on the other hand, even though at the time he was god, wasn't very original. hendrix broke out of the blues scales at least time to time lol I think, as far as reputation goes, alot of the guitarists we envy wouldn't be so great if they hadn't died. SRV was a great blues guitarist, best I've ever heard, but that was as good as he was going to get, I mean, what hasn't been done with the blues?

·
Registered
260 Posts
I can't really think of anyone. I'd like to say Shawn Lane but he'd never have had any such impact on music at large. Besides, he never really finished much. I hear there's loads and loads and loads of unfinished things back at his place... a shame it was never finished and released.

Myself, I never got the fascination with either Rhoads or Dimebag. They've always been terribly overrated and having died doesn't help in that department either, I'm afraid. May sound harsh but oh well, I'm not much for political correctness and glorifying the dead.

·
Super Moderator
9,731 Posts
Duane Allman maybe. Hendrix would certainly have become more of a jazz guitarist, so his impact would have changed countlees others who would have been influenced by him. Difficult to say, really. There are so many outstanding guitarists who never get noticed in the first place...

·
Registered
414 Posts
I think Shawn Lane, he was such a wonderfull musician and even better person. Truly a chameleon in music, so versatile, from the pop tunes filled with emotions, to the jazz tunes played with such a cold mind, yet with a pierceful and mindblowing phrasing, and of course, the fusion with the indian music, just unbelievable, no words can describe that.
He wasnt a steady artist at all,he knew how to reinvent himself in every way.A true art lover in every way, i know he would have impressed us a lot more, but, yo know, sad, sad ,sad...
A true master, RIP!

·
Registered
881 Posts
i'd agree on shawn lane. and what about a guitarist that can no longer play? jason becker was starting to branch out from the neoclassical thing towards the end of his career. i'd love to hear what he'd be doing right now

·
Registered
163 Posts
jason becker comes to mind, his compositions were pretty great (air, end of the beginning). it woulda been great to see what he coulda come up with.

wes montgomery is another one even though he left such an indelible mark as it is, would have loved to see him make even more.

duane allman for sure.

hes not dead but he might as well be, syd barrett the original guitarist for pink floyd.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Rhoads.

What you got with him was just the tip of the iceburg. He never really got a chance to really develop as a player. I'd heard at one point that he actually grew to prefer the classical side of his playing and may have left the metal scene.

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
bpd111 said:
Rhoads.

What you got with him was just the tip of the iceburg. He never really got a chance to really develop as a player. I'd heard at one point that he actually grew to prefer the classical side of his playing and may have left the metal scene.
Yes - I also think he was headed in that direction. Wow....just imagine if he were still here after all those years of develpoment...one can only fathom!

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Hard to say what might have been.

Although he's not technically dead- Syd Barrett's been dead man walking since the late sixties. I wonder what he could have done.

Stevie Ray was just cleaning up when he died- he might have approached his music with more focus and power... who knows.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Hendrix.

So many guitarists go through a maturing, where tastefulness and restraint dominates over flash. EVH, Eric Johnson, Clapton most definitely. I am massively curious to see how Hendrix would fare in the post Van Halen era, characterised by the use of effects and electronic manipulation, which he was clearly an innovator in already, and clean technical prowess on the instrument. I think Steve Vai is the closest thing I can imagine to that entity, but Hendrix was entirely his own man.

Fascinating question.

·
Registered
336 Posts
jem7vwh said:
Stevie Ray was just cleaning up when he died- he might have approached his music with more focus and power... who knows.
He's my pick. It sounded like towards the end he was breaking blues out of the standard I-IV-V and bringing it to a new place. I remember where I was when I heard that he died, and I'm back there every time I hear an SRV tune.

RR could be claimed to also be doing that with metal, considering his classical influence thing. But the truth is, many before RR tried to draw classical influences into rock, Yngwie was already heading there, and frankly, the leap from baroque => metal wasn't exactly rocket science. Not only that, it didn't get too far before people realized it's cheese potential.

Anyhow, I love some of the music, but I actually think RR is overrated, and wouldn't have broken down many more barriers than he already had. I mean, people all over were already busting right hand callouses playing "Dee", I'm not sure impact could be any bigger. Especially if he had decided to go back to Quiet Riot, which some of the rumors claim is true.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
the.godfather said:
I agree with you on the Dimebag thing, I think he had done all he was going to do. I dont think he would have progressed the music that much to be honest. (No disrespect at all, I love Dimebag, RIP dude). But for me, it has to be Randy Rhoads. He had the stuff to be the best ever......but we never got to find out really did we!
I have to say Randy Rhoads. I do think what he did do was overrated, but I think he had a lot of potential to do a whole lot more that we never got to hear! I do agree Dimebag was on the decline... I think his best work was Cowboys From Hell...

I think SRV still had a lot to offer...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts