Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Jemsite.

I've been thinking of a future purchase, but I'm in a dilemma between 5 seperate models.

First up the JS1200, I love the Candy Apple Red finish, it looks amazing in person and has a great set of pickups. I'd obviously be buying a used one to stay within my budget.

The JS1000, in Black Pearl, already got too many white guitars, and I love the Cosmo Black Hardware on it, and a JS1 would look too much like my JS100. Also used.

The JS24P, the 24 frets is the appealing factor on this guitar and is much more affordable than a JS2410. Again the Candy Apple Red finish is absolutely stunning. I know this will be the underdog as it's not Prestige, but after playing it and being blown away by it, I was very impressed. I'd say that it past my personal test with flying colours, so it's in the running.

And finally the 540R-HH or 440R-HH, here's the curveball, colour isn't a factor as I can choose from many colours, the pickups aren't a problem either, as I'd plan to customise it to my own specs, make my own custom, including colour/bodyart, but they are very difficult to get hold of.
The only question I have about the Radius series is, how does the neck compare to the JS? I know it's thinner, but is it just as comfortable?

So what would you do if you were me? I know it's all down to me in the end, but I thought it would be interesting to see what others opinions would be on this and what others would do.

Thanks for reading.
Sorry this post is so long. :p

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I really loved the neck on the 440R I had. Certainly very comfy, thicker than the wizard neck.
Here's how the one I had looked like:
That's a stunning guitar, I love the Black and Chrome look. :) How did it play and sound?

Yeah, it's the Ultra neck that's on the Radius models isn't it? How would you say it compared to the JS neck? I know it's not as thick, but is it wider? I find the JS neck profile is super comfy, probably nicest I've played, but I also play on Wizard and JEM neck profiles, so it's not gonna be difficult for me to play since it's inbetween the JS and Wizard, just never had the oppertunity to play an Ultra neck profile before.

·
Premium Member
1,328 Posts
I have two JS1s from 1990. A JS6, Two JS10ths, a JS90th, JS2000, JS1200, JS2PRM, JS1600 and a JS2410. I used to have a JS100 but once I moved up to the Japanese models with my JS1200 I knew I'd never be happy with my JS100 anymore so I sold it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have a js1200 and a few radius. I prefer the radius. Only thing is a radius HH may be a bit difficult to find. hss and hsh radius are easier to find.
I know what you mean, even the HSS and HSH Radius are difficult to find. Still early days yet, still only in the thinking process.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I know what you mean, even the HSS and HSH Radius are difficult to find. Still early days yet, still only in the thinking process.
If you like the wizard neck get a radius ltd (hsh), they came with a wizard neck with shark tooth inlays. If you like a thicker neck that feels more like a strat get a JS or one of the other radius (hss, or hh). By the way the '87 radius with the PRO540R neck has a slightly thinner feel to it than the later radius which had an ULTRA neck. An easy way to spot the '87 are the three mini toggle switches instead of the 5-way blade.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here in Japan, it's easy to find HSS 540Rs, but HH is harder and I've not once seen an HSH Radius. I prefer the HH, but that's just me.
I'll need to look into that, find out what shipping rates from Japan to UK would be. I also prefer HH too, If I decide on the Radius I could easily buy the HSS version and then fill the middle pickup and rout a humbucker in the neck, I'd be worried about messing it up, but I would be making my own custom from it, so who knows may just leave it HSS and put a Satch Track in the neck instead.

I wouldn't customise a JS if I opt for that though, love them as they are. As I thought no-one is opting for JS24P, Being the only one not Prestige/Made in Japan it's not surprising. But there's a lot of love for the JS1200. I know except from colour and pickups the JS1000 and JS1200 are almost the same, so what makes the JS1200 that bit better? Is it the pickups, the colour or do they just have a different aura or mojo about them? I've played a JS1000 before and thought it was incredible, so what's better about the JS1200?
At least no matter which one I choose I can't go wrong.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I know except from colour and pickups the JS1000 and JS1200 are almost the same, so what makes the JS1200 that bit better? Is it the pickups, the colour or do they just have a different aura or mojo about them? I've played a JS1000 before and thought it was incredible, so what's better about the JS1200?
At least no matter which one I choose I can't go wrong.
I have both the JS1000BP and a JS1200, they're pretty much the same man, and i love them both, so its basically just the colour, you could probably save a few bucks by getting the 1000 though, but another thing to consider is what are trems on both guitars?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts