Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im just wondering whats a good guitar processor for different tones, effects, distortion, etc. i have a peavey valveking head with a marshall 1960 lead cab, and a sonic max. im pretty happy with the way it sounds and dont want to change the tone too much but i NEED fx so i dont end up on the streets doing drugs.

thanks for your help guys, and gals ;) female musicans also kick ass...keyword also lol

·
Registered
68 Posts
hey dude, i'm using the G-Major from TC with my TSL100 and it sounds killer. It is significantly more affordable than the G-Force as well (only about $400). I also picked up a midi floorboard to control it with (and also switch channels on the amp).

The only pedals i'm using are my keeley SD-1 and a bad horsie II. The G-Major doesnt have any distortion effects though, so you might want to look elsewhere if thats something you really want. The delay, reverb, and chorus are all excellent. The other effects are pretty good too.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i like the distortion on my tube head but sometimes its too nice, but i think an eq might be able to fix that. a g-force isnt too flemisy? thanks for the input.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im not looking for anything crazy...no point in spending more then a $1000 when i suck at guitar lol. i just need something to mess around with and everywhere i look, it keeps pointing me towards a g-major. but i heard people talk about knobs falling off, or the processor freezing up. any truth to this?

·
Registered
68 Posts
im not looking for anything crazy...no point in spending more then a $1000 when i suck at guitar lol. i just need something to mess around with and everywhere i look, it keeps pointing me towards a g-major. but i heard people talk about knobs falling off, or the processor freezing up. any truth to this?
I mentioned my, somewhat, limited experience with the g-major in another thread. I bought one back in June and i've gigged with it since (10 or so gigs) plus carting it around to and from practice. I havent had a lick of trouble. The knobs do seem a bit soft?...cheap?...not that great, but as long as you dont donkey kong it every time you spin one they should hold up.

The processor freezing thing i heard was related to an older firmware version. This would only be an issue if you bought used and you would just have to remember to upgrade your firmware.

I would recommend getting a rack case for any rack item you get, even if you aren't transporting it to and from gigs or practice.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
rocktron chameleon black face or g-major? i have it narrowed it to these 2. ahhh and college starts in a week i NEED a new toy, and yes i am being very immature about this, i even got into a fight with my gf.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i was actually looking at your rig rob (drools) sexy, very sexy. will the g-major go good with a tube head, without changing the way it sounds? i like the tone i get out of that. i dont want to touch anything that'll change that, i need something to build on top of it. i need someone i can use live too, not just at home or studio.
once again thanks everyone for the input

·
Registered
4,924 Posts
Oh, haha, thanks for the complement but I don't think its really that drool worthy, its a fairly basic setup, its no where near where I want it im maybe at like 20% of what I want.. I still need to get a mesa 2:90, a TC 2290 and a DBX 166, a Mesa rectifier recording preamp and a midi amp switcher unit to switch between that and the Triaxis.

·
Registered
4,924 Posts
Rocktron Chameleon is a preamp, not an effects unit!!!
you technically can run it clean with Delay and Reverb, heck thats the only way to get any decent sound out of it, because the distortion on it is like a wet mouse farting while being chased by a swarm of bees, but yeah, its not ideally suited for just effects.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts