Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The more I play my G&L S-500 the more I dig how it feels and plays. I am really liking the looks of the Invader. I would like to get a double locking Super Strat and while I have the Jem BSB I have for trade I have got over the Jem. Don't get me wrong as it plays and sounds better than any Ibby I have owned.

I can't get over the build quailty of this G&L S-500 and want to get an Invader to sit in as my Super Strat in place of the Jem.

So, does anyone here own a G&L Invader?

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Yeah I love the custom options, the mahogany body on the invader I played was so much heavier than mahogany Ibanezs imo. That is the only downside (other than if you have to have 24 frets)

I really like all the different color options G&Ls have too, build quality is great even though sometimes I dislike not being able to play a guitar before I buy it.

I say go for what your gut says, I prefer the edge trems and I like to have 24 frets but I know in the future I'll have an invader along with my Ibanezes. So its a tough call really, in this economy you cant really have your cake and eat it too so choose whichever you think you will want to play until the world resettles, then you can have all the guitars!

·
Registered
695 Posts
G&L is the company Fender started after leaving Fender right? I've never heard anybody say a bad thing about them.

In fact a I a long conversation with an old dude in the music school I teach at about how this G&L strat he was playing at a guitar centre (and since we don't have Guitar Centre's in Canada this guy got around) outplayed every single Fender guitar in the store. He's a professional musician that does work in Nashville so I'm assuming he knows what he is talking about.

I've never played one personally, but they seem like a pretty safe bet.

·
Super Moderator
9,758 Posts
I can't imagine they completely suck, but it is a serious consideration - there are no replacements with like out there anywhere. Chandler makes a Comanche 'strat pickup' pickguard, I think they start at 45 bucks or so in all of their 100's of colors.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ive had an s500 and an invader and they are too totally different guitars to play. The S500 are so light and comfty where the invader is quite heavy but got to say played amazing! Mine was a HH model reverse matching headstock with maple neck in red sparkle!! (wish i didnt sell it now).
As for build quality its a USA G&L at the end of the day so need i say more... ;)
You wouldnt regret buying one depending on your playing style.

·
Premium Member
9,591 Posts
I always wanted a Comanche, but not enough to actually pay for one :lol:
I had a Commanche for a little while. Beautiful guitar, the most figured fretboard I;d ever seen. Picked it up "used" for $1050. The guy bought it, took it home for a month and decided he didnt want it so he returned it. I liked the Z coil pickups, but wanted a more traditional strat look so I had a custom pickguard made and put in Fender CS '54 pickups.

As for bang for the buck, you can't go wrong with G&L, the only bad part is they don't hold their value that well. I guess the headstock is the wrong shape.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
If I buy another "new" guitar It will be a G&L Invader Custom Order. While I think the G&L headstock is fugly I don't notice it while playing. The build quality on my S-500 and the playability is worth it.

I will most likely keep an eye out for a used one that is as close to possible to what I want as the used prices on them can't be beat for their build quality.

Even new you can't beat their quality for the price.

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
I have an Invader XL - fixed bridge twin humbucker. It is a fantastic guitar, with a fairly fat neck which is what I was after at the time. The tone off it is huge as a result. I'll try to sort some photos. The build quality is exceptional on US G&Ls, and I quite like the headstock!

·
Super Moderator
9,758 Posts
I had a Commanche for a little while. Beautiful guitar, the most figured fretboard I;d ever seen. Picked it up "used" for $1050. The guy bought it, took it home for a month and decided he didnt want it so he returned it. I liked the Z coil pickups, but wanted a more traditional strat look so I had a custom pickguard made and put in Fender CS '54 pickups.

As for bang for the buck, you can't go wrong with G&L, the only bad part is they don't hold their value that well. I guess the headstock is the wrong shape.
They make great basses as well, I played one of their 5 strings recently and it was awesome.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.