Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read about all the reviews on HC and everyhting i could find on here about the G-Major. I found one at Guitar center used for $189. When it boots up, it says it is version 1.11, I think.. it's 1.1# something. I'm not at home right now or i'd look. I'm also noticing that the rotary switches already are not working quite greatly. They work, but they get stuck on the same parameter sometimes, and i have to keep turning to get it to move to the next. I've read that some freeze up. So, anyone that has this, should i auction it, and look for a different unit, or should i stick with it? Just wanna know if you think it will get any worse. Is this just how the rotary knobs are, or are they breaking? Should i get it updated to the 1.27(?), or whatever the current version is, to prevent any freeze ups? I'm also looking at Xpression, Intellifex, Replifex. What do you think the best course of action is in my situation?

I may even go with single stomp boxes using a more GCX switchers in the future. but that is future. i want something for now.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
I think the freezing rotory controls are more to do with poor quality switches. Certainly that is an issue I have had with mine. Every so often they mis-behave and I have to give them a good spin to get them going again.

From what I remember the upgrade adds a little functunality to the unit, but it wasn't enough to make me want to go to the trouble of doing it.

It is still a great unit though, and for $189, can you complain?

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it was a great price, but if the thing is gonna break on me, it's not worth $1. there is an intellifex on auction site right now for $169 buy now. looks in really good shape. and i've read that they are much more reliable. i'm not worried so much about rotary knobs missing every once in a while, but i've read a few reviews about ones that won't boot up, stop making sound while it's on, etc. those are big deal problems. I know Jimosity had problems with his first one, but the second one he had was fine. Could that be an old version of software that might cause the unit to freeze up completely? If that is for sure whats causing those types of products, i'll find some way to get the updated software, and just deal with the wheels. if the updates won't help then i'll probably look for something else

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Honestly, everything I've owned (G-Majors, Lexicon MPX units, currently a Rocktron Intellifex) suffers from the "glitchy rotary knob" syndrome. So chances are if you take the G-Major back to GC and get a new one, in a few years you'll be right back where you started.

I have had good luck using compressed air and contact cleaner to de-glitch the rotary knobs. I'd start with the compressed air... blow it in around the edge of the knob while you're rotating the knob. If that doesn't work, give a short blast of contact cleaner while turning the knob (make sure the unit is off first). This made a big difference on my old G-Majors.

--B

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've had one for 5 years. Excellent piece of gear. Its been gigged live the whole time in smokey bars. Has had beer and Jager spilled on it. Yes they are known to had knob issues but they are durable units. I upgraded mine to 1.27 and the best feature you gain is a 3 band EQ for patches. You can boost mids for solos, or whatever freq to fit your taste. The coolest feature of the G's is the channel switching via MIDI board. Hook that up to your amp, program a patch, and you can put your amp's floor unit in a drawer.

Mine just went in for overhaul. It wouldn't boot anymore, display would flash and it was in need of help. I got a new board, fixed knobs, some buttons were loose, and it was basically refurbished to factory fresh condition. I didn't lose my patches either. For being a live unit for 5 years, I'd say it's a reliable unit. I have no complaints spending $100 to have TCE factory make it like new again.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Sounds like tc have some good customer service going on there.

Just to chip in, my JMP-1 does the same with the selector knob. It annoys me when something costing £550 has cheap switches, particularly when it is supposed to be pro gear.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bduersch said:
I have had good luck using compressed air and contact cleaner to de-glitch the rotary knobs. I'd start with the compressed air... blow it in around the edge of the knob while you're rotating the knob. If that doesn't work, give a short blast of contact cleaner while turning the knob (make sure the unit is off first). This made a big difference on my old G-Majors.
Those are some good ideas. I'll definitely give those a try.

catzodellamarina said:
Mine just went in for overhaul. It wouldn't boot anymore, display would flash and it was in need of help. I got a new board, fixed knobs, some buttons were loose, and it was basically refurbished to factory fresh condition. I didn't lose my patches either. For being a live unit for 5 years, I'd say it's a reliable unit. I have no complaints spending $100 to have TCE factory make it like new again.
so it's only 100 bucks to get the whole thing worked over so it's basically brand new. ok that makes me feel better, and i'm sure they would probably do the upgrade there too, not that i'm real concerned about it. I just want the thing to work as properly as it can. As i said, the rotary switches aren't the big deal problem for me. I'm just worried about a whole system failure while i'm using it. Oh, any idea why i only have 40 user patches and not 100 like the manual says?

·
Registered
21 Posts
USER patches = 40 made by previous owner. Make a new one and you'll have 41. This is where you can make up to 99.
PRESET patches = factory made, all 99 of them. Can't be deleted.

You can wipe out the whole unit and start from scratch with zero USER patches. I don't know the command off hand but I think you hold a button while turning it on. Ask TCE.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I got mine back yesterday from TCE. They must have dipped it in virgin restorer. It's as clean as it was new. There's even a piece of plastic over the display again. They weren't kidding when they said they would make it factory fresh. Just in time for this Sat. gig. Well worth the 100 clams.

·
Registered
399 Posts
catzodellamarina said:
I got mine back yesterday from TCE. They must have dipped it in virgin restorer. It's as clean as it was new. There's even a piece of plastic over the display again. They weren't kidding when they said they would make it factory fresh. Just in time for this Sat. gig. Well worth the 100 clams.
nice

ive had mine for only afew weeks...

i was abit concerned about the bad comments people had.... but for every bad comment theres another good comment too :) ...so you'll never know , if you never try :)

it's a great unit, great sound , and im very happpy with it...

i hope mine lasts for 5 years :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.