Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
So I opened the moving boxes and found an old game I love. It is called Star Wars Episode 1 Racer. I tried everything to get it to run: Virtual PC, XP mode, DosBox, etc .... Does anybody know another way than installing Windows Xp as a second operating system?

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Hey man, I just want to give you a bump. That was an awesome game, and I figured out how to get it to work but has been forever ago. Google may be your ally here as I am positive you can fix it!

Good luck dude!

·
Banned
9,291 Posts
I guess "blowing on the cartridge" isn't the answer you are looking for...
LOL--first thing I thought of when I saw the post title...LOL. That was an old myth, though. I refurb old 8-bit NES machines, and it's always a bad 72 pin connector that causes that and the blinking red light. You should see the NES I modded with a purple LED!!!

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
LOL--first thing I thought of when I saw the post title...LOL. That was an old myth, though. I refurb old 8-bit NES machines, and it's always a bad 72 pin connector that causes that and the blinking red light. You should see the NES I modded with a purple LED!!!
I remember there was an inset notch in old NES games. When the cartidge was down I'd run my finger back and forth on the grove which would slide the cartridge laterally ever so slightly in hopes of getting all 72 connectors to rub together and establish contact. Looking back I think some cartidges simply warped from the heat of playing all day. haha!
For PC I'm not sure. I can't see why that game wouldn't load or run. Shot in the dark but is it your graphics card? It is an old game so that probably isn't it.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks for the help, I figured it out myself. It is an old 16 Bit game, which is not compatible with 64 Bit operating systems. I learned it the hard way. I tried to install XP to get it to run, which screwed up my existing windows installation. Thank god, I had all my important data on another partition. So i formated my main partition and another smaller one, then I installed XP on the smaller one and Windows 7 on the main. You can't install it the other way around, otherwise it wouldn't let you access Windows 7 anymore. So after 15 hours in front of my computer, I needed a shower, some food, I had to reinstall everything again, BUT IT FINALLY WORKS.

Bottom line= Worth it. :D

Ps: @AlaskaBat You REALLY seem to like purple. I love green to death

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Glad you got it, buddy! Having a second partition for a lower bit seems like something everybody should do, great idea!

·
Premium Member
10,116 Posts
Glad you got it, buddy! Having a second partition for a lower bit seems like something everybody should do, great idea!
This is the truth!!!!!

I run all of my recording software on a separate Veloci-raptor drive running XP. It's such a simple no frills install and operating system...... I actually miss it!!!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Virtual machines like XP mode and virtual PC don't work with 3D games. I tried it, as I mentioned in my first post. Acually I liked XP too, but I can't live without the "throw the window at the side of the screen" option.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
Virtual machines like XP mode and virtual PC don't work with 3D games. I tried it, as I mentioned in my first post. Acually I liked XP too, but I can't live without the "throw the window at the side of the screen" option.
I beg to differ but, you must've not tried properly. As long as you configure the vm properly, you can run anything in it. If you ever decide to venture that route, I'd go with VMWare instead of entry-level solutions like virtual pc and xp mode.

Jimmy:smile:

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Ah yes...Episode 1 Pod Racer was an awesome game back then! The official Episode 1 game altogether was rather good too from what I can remember, I finished it a few times and always enjoyed it. The film on the other hand, eek...

·
Registered
242 Posts
I installed Need For Speed Underground 2 on my x64 Windows 7 machine but it kept crashing. And it turned out the problem was that those old games just **** themselves when there is more than one thread going. So since my i7 had 8 threads, i set the process to use only one core (Start task manager, right click process, click affinity, and select only core 0).

Works flawlessly. :D Maybe give that a try next time.

Toodles, Julz.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That won't work either. You can't even install it on a 64 bit machine because the 16 bit code is not supported anymore.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts