Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I just received my J custom yesterday but noticed that there a gap in between the body and neck on both the low and high e string sides.
Should I exchanged this for another guitar? None of my other high end guitars from other brands have this issue.

Thanks a lot,
Fix

20210626_181211.jpg 20210626_181159.jpg

·
Registered
9,310 Posts
It's likely to be a non-issue, common occurrence with bolt on necks. Loosen the mounting screws, pull in the direction that evens out the spring spacing, and tighten up again.

I'm assuming that this is a bolt on neck?

·
Registered
60 Posts
As @LonePhantom stated. It probably just needs to be scooted over. I’ve had to do this numerous times on Fenders. I keep the string tension on, loosed the neck screws slightly (sometimes it makes a popping sound when you loosen the screws-no need for alarm. Move the neck over in the pocket, and relighted the screws.

This seems to affect guitars stored in gig bags A lot, at least that’s been my experience. They can get nocked around a little more than those stored in cases. That is why even my lowere end guitars all get a case. Even my 500 dollar Jem Jr gets a case.

If you get the neck moved toward the upper horn, and wind up with a greater gap on the lower horn, then you have a problem, which shouldn’t occur on an Electric Guitar past a certain price point. That kind of gap is what I’ve seen on 70’s Stratocasters. It’s to be expected there. BTBH my Jem Jr Doesn’t have that issue. 3bolt 79 Stratocaster did have that issue.

·
Registered
543 Posts
That neck pocket looks very loose. Normally they are pretty snug. If that is a brand new j custom I would definitely return/exchange it. I've never owned a premium or a prestige that had a neck pocket that loose. I've had it on the cheaper Korean ibanez guitars... but the J custom is supposed to be the nicest craftsmanship Ibanez has to offer. That is definitely not an A stock looking j custom.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Looks fine. You either get that, or risk neck joint cracks developing due to the neck wood expanding at different rates than the body wood. It's good to have a little "play" in a bolt on neck so you can adjust it like has already been discussed. It'll expand slightly in a more humid environment, good to have room for that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts