Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello :)

I have this 7vwh since 1993 and I finaly want to work on this little gap she had between the nuts and the fretboard's end.
I have no idea how to proceed saftely. I looked heavely on this forum for some ideas or a way to do it but I found nothing.

So, I need all your helps and ideas ;-)

Thanks

Here some pics :

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
What Swirltop said:
If it intonates correctly I'd leave it alone.
'If t'ain't broke, leave it alone!' as we saz her in West Virginnie. :)

·
Premium Member
10,116 Posts
There could be a couple of reasons that it's doing this:

1) the bores for the nut hold down bolts are drilled in the wrong spot. There was a guy on a few months ago that had made special bolts to fix this problem. I don't remember who he was, but Rich might. They were a great idea.

2) there's something on the nut shelf that's preventing the nut from moving all the way forward. I had this problem on the 760 neck I'm working on now. 8 seconds against the fretboard end with a file cured the problem.

3) It looks like they may have cut your fretboard out of square at the factory. Meaning the top end of the board is closer to the bridge than the bottom edge thats glued to the maple of the neck. If this is the case, there's no way to know what to do until you answer Swirltop's question about intonation.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks to all for your responses :-D

I mesured the first fret center to the beginning of the nuts on my other jem, it appears that this nuts is 0.650 milimeters back off that where it should be.
The end of the fretboard (fret 0) is well cut, same mesure on the fretboard end that the other jem.

Intonation suffer a little, the first frets are a little sharp ( 4 cents ) and the last frets are a little flat ( -5 cents).
And I feel the bends and the vibrato on this guitar are a little harder than on the other jem.

I think it's the first point of RGTFanatic 's response.

Could I oblong the holes to put the nuts touching the end of the fretboard or this gonna make the nuts moving and not stay in place during vibrato pull up and pull down ?

·
Vendor
26,551 Posts
If you haven't taken the tension off of it and loosened the screws to just see if it moves back in place, don't rule it out, especially if you have not done maintenance on the guitar ;)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ve used this guitar heavely 'till 93 so I setup this guitar 10 000 times ;-)
She has a neck pocket shim (from your advice) and an original black edge from your website ;-)

Even if I put strings off , the nuts dont touching the fretboard end.

And when I tighten the back screws that hold the nuts I pushed hard the nuts in the fretboard end direction with no success.

When I loosened the screws under tension I have the "moving nuts" symptoms ( pull up the bar the notes are flat, and pushing the bar the same note is sharp)

·
Vendor
26,551 Posts
If it's always been like that then the holes are too far south and you have to modify them to get it to mate. Usually the problem is because it's off the one side. Either pay somebody to plug and redrill, or open it up with a dremel if you're mechanically inclined to.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's always been like that, even with the original gold nuts.

"open it up with a dremel" Did you say that I can oblong the back screws 's holes to gain some move ?

·
Vendor
26,551 Posts
Sorry, it's Thursday night ;)

I have screws that will give about .5mm of move, I'd use those with the least amount of hole work as you can get away with to flush it up.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
Is it me or does that nut look a bit tilted on the treble side??

Where did you get that nut from?

Jimmy:smile:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
GUITARMAGEDDON, I think it's the picture's perpective. I don't really make measurement for the strings height. I just feel what is good for my playing.
So I just make measurment :

low E , 12 fret = 1.5 mm
, 24 fret = 2.0 mm

high E , 12fret = 1.2 mm
, 24 fret = 1.8 mm

jb4674 , again i think it's the pic's perspective or the light.

I looked closely it's not tilted but It's amazing how it look tilted on the picture :-D

I don't remenber where I get this nuts but there is big chance that I get it from rich ;-)

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
I did those custom screws to fix a string alignment issue on my RG750. Nut was too far toward treble side and it need a little more adjustment. Worked perfectly but I think your gap is too much for these screws. It will only give you an extra .5mm or .020 of an inch.

·
Vendor
26,551 Posts
.5mm is a good start and that much less to dremel ;)

I should have gotten you to make me 100 of them. It's a lifetime supply but it'll save me having to get another machine shop to do it if I run out ;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts