Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rarely ever buy anything at GC, but I was in there today and couldn't pass up a Jackson on clearance for $300. It was a brand new guitar, and I figured that I could maybe get it with tax off. No luck.

So, I asked about getting some Schaller straplocks thrown in as a deal. No luck with that neither. I understand the guitar was on clearance but the whole experience (and rushy employee) rubbed me the wrong way. The guitar is still awesome and well worth the price, but was my experience in haggling unusual in that I got no extras?

·
Registered
1,270 Posts

Musical instruments, especially in a place like this, there is always room for negotiation. You just got someone that didn't want to work with you. He probably got the impression that you were there to buy something and people like that are rarely discouraged from not getting something thrown in.

Next time go in there to just look. Buying on impulse is ok as long as the price is right, but the price has to be right. Make that known. Know what the price is else where so you know when you're getting a good deal. Always be willing to walk away from it if the price isn't right.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Wow, that really sucks. The salesman out-haggled you. My suggestion is go to a place like Israel, or go to an Israeli shop somewhere near you and work on your haggling skills. If you manage to out-haggle an Israeli you're all set. Or you can always take an Israeli with you next time you want to buy something, they can haggle the salesperson for you. When my dad and I went to buy a guitar he managed to get me a $700 guitar for $350, and he managed to get a bunch of freebies thrown in. Yes my dad is Israeli!

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Musical instruments, especially in a place like this, there is always room for negotiation.
While I agree that there is usually room for negotiation there isn't always room for negotiation. There are no absolutes when it comes to price.

While I'm still waiting to find out how much the guitar was tagged at before its clearance price and the model, the fact is it was on clearance so it was already marked down. If that particular model has been selling well, why should they throw anything in (which is the same as taking more money off the clearance price).

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
While I agree that there is usually room for negotiation there isn't always room for negotiation. There are no absolutes when it comes to price.

While I'm still waiting to find out how much the guitar was tagged at before its clearance price and the model, the fact is it was on clearance so it was already marked down. If that particular model has been selling well, why should they throw anything in (which is the same as taking more money off the clearance price).
EXACTLY! I know for a fact when GC has something listed as "clearance," they already marked down the price by a large margin. GC is a business, and they are in business to make money. Can anyone ever be satisfied? If I was the salesman I wouldn't have thrown in anything else either!

·
Registered
1,270 Posts

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this point. I think that if you're selling something, you have a price that you bought it for and you must sell it at some point above that to make money. Guitar Center and places alike mark up everything from what they bought it for. While they don't like selling below that they will sometimes do it just to move it out and get something else in that's new. So you might not always be able to get them to come down on the price, but they could if they really wanted to. Demand will dictate that. Why drop the price if it's a hot seller that sells at sticker price, you know?

Case in point, of those of you that bought the RG770 reissue most likely paid sticker price for it at $1300. That's what I paid for the first one, but not the second. I actually had no intention at all buying both of them. When I was picking up the one I ordered the main manager tried to get me to buy the second one. Even got it out of the box to intice me. I wanted to, but didn't really part with the money. So he dropped the price $100. Before I could say no thanks he went to the computer and came back with $900. I bought it. Now, I didn't haggle the guy for the price drop. Perhaps he did it because he was scared it would sit there forever otherwise. Maybe because I'm a good customer and I always go to the same guy everytime - I'm loyal to this one sales guy there. Maybe because they've given me great service and when I buy something big and they've treated me great I'll send over pizzas, or cookies for the holidays. Maybe a comination of all of those things.

Now, it might sound strange to do that, to send food and treats over to them, but I think it's a tip of the hat back to the early days when relationships were forged with the business you bought from. I treat them for treating me awesome. It's a cycle that never ends. And for that reason, when I have a big musical purchase to make, I'll call my guitar guy there and I'll tell him what I want. He always keeps me in the loop with my order even if the guy is on vacation.

I kinda got off point there, but I think if you're selling something there's always room to negotiate. If they don't budge, you need to be willing to walk away from it to find a better deal if you're looking for a better deal.

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
around here there is no haggle room in major stores like GC, SamA or even a stores like BestBuy. You can't even get a free pack of strings. The reason is simple the store across the street has the same price and they're pretty much locking you in. Game, set, match. Giving away equipment doesn't keep their store open. Even with cash on hand (stores don't care about cash & carry).

Now i can see in some areas the rules of retails are quite different as per economic necessity, especially if workers & managers are long-term (not college kids or grad school adult students in temp jobs)... glen

·
Registered
1,676 Posts

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this point. I think that if you're selling something, you have a price that you bought it for and you must sell it at some point above that to make money. Guitar Center and places alike mark up everything from what they bought it for. While they don't like selling below that they will sometimes do it just to move it out and get something else in that's new. So you might not always be able to get them to come down on the price, but they could if they really wanted to. Demand will dictate that. Why drop the price if it's a hot seller that sells at sticker price, you know?
I sold guitar gear for a major East coast retailer for 12 yrs (not GC or Sam Ash) so I know how the game is played from both sides of the equation. I know how the discounting structure works for the retailer well enough that if I know the list price and the vendor, I can pretty much guess what dealer cost is on a guitar (barring any special discounts).

That being said, nickel and diming a salesman over a clearance priced guitar is silly and pointless. People do it just so they can say "Look at me, I got a good deal!". I've played the game enough that I don't try to beat up salespeople any more. I shop around and find out what the lowest advertised price is and that's my baseline. I have no problem paying a fair market price. There's also a point at which a salesman won't want to deal with you because they don't want to lose commission money on you.

All that said, I don't believe in haggling. It's a waste of my time. I find the best price, I present to the salesperson and either they do the deal or they don't.

·
Super Moderator
9,696 Posts
My understanding is that GC no longer authorizes salespeople to haggle on anything. So, there's no talking a few dollars off of new stuff at GC anymore in any of their stores. Not sure what the policy on used equipment is.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts