Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
heh, I've just lost all respect for Gene Simmons (KISS).

In an interview I'm watching atm he just said (and I paraphrase), "...there is no record industry, it's done, it's dead. The people who it was for have killed it by downloading. It's sad, the record labels have no more money. The saddest thing is there won't be another KISS, or Beatles because everyone is downloading music."

I wonder if he had heard about NIN's success before that interview.

The fact remains, if the music/cd/album is worth buying it will be bought.

·
Banned
2,575 Posts
i thought kiss were sh!t.there early stuff was totaly aaaggghhhh,they released a single here in the uk in the 80s called crazy nights,it reached the top 5 that one single sold more copys than all there albums and singles put together.that says it all

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
I can't stand KISS, but I love Gene Simmons :lol:

But still, I don't understand. Why do you disagree with him? Downloading does hurt the music business.

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
i thought kiss were sh!t.there early stuff was totaly aaaggghhhh,they released a single here in the uk in the 80s called crazy nights,it reached the top 5 that one single sold more copys than all there albums and singles put together.that says it all
We all know that everything in the TOP 40 is greateset music ever written.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Wow!! I must be the only Kiss fan on this forum...Oh well...:rolleyes:

The whole record industry thing has not been the same for years. This is not old news...
Record companies had been sucking the life blood out of musicians for years. The internet has changed all of that. They've been slowly dying for the last 10 years.

That's a good thing though, the record companies suck. They're not about bringing art to the masses they're about putting dollars in their pockets by dealing with people who for the most part want to make art...

I don't see what's so wrong about what he said...:)

I haven't heard about NIN recently did they just sell 5 million records? If they did they're the exception but I wouldn't think they could. Comparing the two of them, NIN are not better than Kiss, not by a mile...IMHO :mrgreen:

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
No you're not alone. I'm a fan of KISS as well, but not of Gene's "A**hole" record... I had a load of vinyls of the band, and their respective solo albums.

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
I am a big fan of Kiss, not everyone on jemsite hates them.

I also like Gene simmons, seems like a nice guy, just over powered buy wealth and success.

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
When programs like MTV's Cribs are on TV showing us how well off these guys have it, and how much money they've got, it goes to show that these guys are just greedy when they complain about downloads.

Yeah, I don't condone people making a free buck from pirating, but when the people complaining have enough money to run a small country it just makes me sick.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
But that still doesn't make downloading right. If I were a musician and had all the money I ever needed, I would still say it's wrong. It's a matter of principle.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
But that still doesn't make downloading right. If I were a musician and had all the money I ever needed, I would still say it's wrong. It's a matter of principle.
Depends on where you stand about music. If its your job (your way to make money - be it for food or diamond encrusted cars) youll bitch and moan, if youre just concerned about expressing yourself thru it and reaching the wider possible audience with it, you will love and praise the internet.

I know musicians, working ones, on both sides of the spectrum, and i cant seriously say either one is wrong. Its just points of view.

Now, about record companies? f*ck them, they have always been the middle man, and now theyre not necesary anymore and are scared ****less about it.

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
Wade, you're not putting all the facts in the basket man. No one is talking about illegal downloads and, half of the time, the legal downloads that people pay for do not give the artist any money.

What Gene was referring to was the fact that people don't buy cd's like they used to; that is a fact. Ever since the whole riaa/napster problem occurred, record sales have been slowly and slowly declining. The record insdutry is on the verge of collapsing because entities like the riaa are becoming too greedy and think that they can stomp on the consumer by suing them for millions of dollars to recover their alleged "lost revenue".

Jimmy:smile:

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
I never said that it did. Another assumption you've made about one of my posts recently and we all know what assuming does ;)

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
It killed the business but gave life to the music. Which one do you want out of the two?

I bet no one here needs to think twice about that. I think now we can actually hear the music we want to. Over here in Japan they are stilled tied to the record labels so if it isn't pop then they don't know it, but think about how many artist you love that you would know nothing about without the internet.

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
gene is a brilliant marketer and businessman... can write a catchy tune also like the beatles did.

he's right that the industry is near buried there won't be another beatles, etc. the lawyers running the industry want one-hit wonders they can control, pay no contracts to and dispose them for the next years idol.

but he's taken the really idiotic riaa/mpaa stance of placing blame on "downloading" when in fact the industry killed itself. it's been one, long, non-healing gaping wound for years. downloading just made this obvious. and i mean LEGAL downloading... you can get a song from iTunes for a buck now instead of being forced to pay $15 for 11 other crummy songs on CD. Why do you think they're so against downloading. ROTFLMAO at the shortsightedness... glen

1 - 20 of 106 Posts