Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love the Yng, but I sadly read an article in Vintage Guitar where they interviewed George Lynch after he finished touring with Yngwie and George basically said Yng was a Foookin' Idiot.

On the last night of the tour George had the roadies give out stale doughnuts to the crowd to throw at Yngwie! He said The Yng was a total A-hole regarding respect for his fellow warmup band and will probably never be asked to tour with him ever again.

I dig the "Rockstar Attitude" - it kinda goes with the job, but I don't agree with someone being a complete jerk to other players (especially who warm up for you).

What a dick.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,591 Posts
Yngwie has a reputation for being a dick, how can George not know what he was getting himself into.
On the other hand Yngwie should have been all over George's beanbag.
I know George Lynch would have been a HUGE draw by himself and with all the other people trying to get GL to open, Yngwie should consider himself lucky that he got George to open. (/sarcasm)
I saw that tour in Chicago, luckily I got there just as George Lynch's set was ending, I was affraid I'd be Rokken with some Dokken.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,952 Posts
Typical Yngwie BS. Michael Schencker was supposed to co-headline the UK leg of Yngwie's current tour (Unleash the Fury Tour) but he pulled because he found that his wasn't on the tickets being sold plus he read everywhere that he and his band were guests :lol:.

Regards

André
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
258 Posts
jemaholic said:
I love the Yng, but I sadly read an article in Vintage Guitar where they interviewed George Lynch after he finished touring with Yngwie and George basically said Yng was a Foookin' Idiot.

On the last night of the tour George had the roadies give out stale doughnuts to the crowd to throw at Yngwie! He said The Yng was a total A-hole regarding respect for his fellow warmup band and will probably never be asked to tour with him ever again.

I dig the "Rockstar Attitude" - it kinda goes with the job, but I don't agree with someone being a complete jerk to other players (especially who warm up for you).

What a dick.
I agree completely with your last sentence - that someone shouldn't be a complete jerk to other players. Which, if the story is true, George Lynch is guilty of. Giving doughnuts out to throw at Yngwie? What, is George Lynch in 7th grade? Is this how he professionally and responsibly deals with touring issues? Really, from what reliable info I've heard, George isn't exactly the easiest guy to get along with either. His reputation doesn't seem to be that different from Yngwie's. So it really sounds like 2 egos crammed into one tour and that can only spell disaster.

Paul
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,619 Posts
Paul Warren said:
I agree completely with your last sentence - that someone shouldn't be a complete jerk to other players. Which, if the story is true, George Lynch is guilty of. Giving doughnuts out to throw at Yngwie? What, is George Lynch in 7th grade? Is this how he professionally and responsibly deals with touring issues? Really, from what reliable info I've heard, George isn't exactly the easiest guy to get along with either. His reputation doesn't seem to be that different from Yngwie's. So it really sounds like 2 egos crammed into one tour and that can only spell disaster.
Could not agree more.
Maybe its not only Yngwie thats the dick - but George Lynch too by the sounds of it. What an absolute idiotic baby George is by the sounds of it. He is moaning to magazines about how Yngwie is a "jerk" - and yet George himself is giving doughnuts out to throw at Yngwie. He sounds like a dick to me.

If George was a professional he wouldnt moan to guitar magazines about it, surely he would discuss it with the person. And not only that, but encouraging violence too. Encouraging the throwing of objects towards another artist. George sounds more of a pathetic idiot than Yngwie for me.

Does George Lynch think he is "funny" or the "bigger man" by doing this? If he does then obviously he is a bigger jerk than most of us thought he was.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,952 Posts
Paul Warren said:
I agree completely with your last sentence - that someone shouldn't be a complete jerk to other players. Which, if the story is true, George Lynch is guilty of. Giving doughnuts out to throw at Yngwie? What, is George Lynch in 7th grade? Is this how he professionally and responsibly deals with touring issues? Really, from what reliable info I've heard, George isn't exactly the easiest guy to get along with either. His reputation doesn't seem to be that different from Yngwie's. So it really sounds like 2 egos crammed into one tour and that can only spell disaster.

Paul
DITTO :).

Regards

André
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
405 Posts
I have never met Yngwie but a few years back ago Dokken rolled thru my city. It was after arena rock died and bands were playing large bar rooms anyways George was very approachable and a really nice guy he signed autographs and posed for pic's without charging $5 dollars like his bandmates
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,882 Posts
George is a really nice guy and very approachable after shows. And "stunts" and practical jokes do happen on the road. You gotta remember that bands are basically traveling boys clubs, I have friends on the road and hang out with them when they are in town. YJM was a jerk to Geo on this tour, they barely got time to setup their equipment before the show started and a 5 minute soundcheck, if any, because YJM had to do 3-4 hour soundcheck/rehearsals. My juvenile side actually thinks that stale doughnuts are hilarious. I'm not saying it was the "right" or "professional" thing to do, but I chuckled at the thought.

That said, no, George is not the easiest person to be in a band with, I know some of the guys that have played with him in the past. I think he comes across as a jerk to them sometimes because he just can't make up his own mind what he wants to do (his career and discography should prove that point well). And yeah, the dude is 50, so the doughnut thing was a little juvenile, but, still worth a chuckle in my book, he couldn't have done it to a nicer guy...

Roger
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
437 Posts
Lynch is an ass. Don't get me wrong, i love his playing, but he's no easier to deal with than Yngwie is. Why do you think guys don't last long when working with him?
Besides, i've kinda given up on him after the last few things he's released, that "nu-metal" Lynch Mob album with the downtuned versions of Dokken songs, and that horrible covers album. Suppposedly that live dvd he put out is awful too. The only thing he's put out since "Shadowlife" that i think is cool is the Lynch/Pilson record.

On a somewhat related note, i just watched the Dokken "Live From The Sun" dvd last night, and Reb Beach kicks ass!!!!!!!! (plus, i hear he's a totally cool guy) Reb plays a solo on "Too High To Fly" that kills anything i've heard by Lynch in the last 10 years.
peace
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,952 Posts
gunkungfu said:
I have never met Yngwie but a few years back ago Dokken rolled thru my city. It was after arena rock died and bands were playing large bar rooms anyways George was very approachable and a really nice guy he signed autographs and posed for pic's without charging $5 dollars like his bandmates
Wow like I want to meet the bass player and even pay $5 for it ROTF.

Regards

André
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,200 Posts
elcid said:
I know George Lynch would have been a HUGE draw by himself and with all the other people trying to get GL to open, Yngwie should consider himself lucky that he got George to open. (/sarcasm)
Hell, I'd rather see Lynch in concert than Yngwie, any day. Lynch has, bar none, the best phrasing I've ever heard, and his subtle bar work is so amazing that I didn't even know he USED his bar that much until I got to watch him do it. Amazing...

The stale donuts thing sounds like more of a practical joke than anything - it'd be funny to anyone other than Yngwie, I'd think. Personally, if I was him (and had all the donut jokes at my expense) and the last night of the tour people started throwing donuts at me, I'd crack up.

Then again, I'm not Yngwie. :lol:

Met Lynch once, at a clinic in Boston - he seemed like a very humble, down to earth guy. Definitely not a pompus self-centered arse.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top