Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
kill switches are ok, I prefer the fender TBX pot. If you use your tone pot, it is perfect because at center click the pot disengages from the circuit. It gives you 250k sweep 1-5 and 5-10 1 meg sweep. So best of all scenarios.

I have added kill switches to guitars before and they are useful, but I do use occasionally use the tone pot and would rather have it in place.

·
Registered
157 Posts
OK smart ass.......how and when do you ever use your guitars tone knob???Just to note I teach and have been playing for over 35 years kiddo.
Great news smart ass. I installed a kill switch for the tone knob twenty years ago and guess what, I did not use it much either.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Eric Johnson, Eric Clapton . . .

Sorry K5423, didn't mean to disturb you, but there is so many sound colours that you can get with tone knob, so why not use it?

·
Registered
157 Posts
I just wanted to point out that it is not the best idea to call someone "smart ass" when he makes a joke and even adds a smiley.
Especially when the idea you come up with is almost as old as the electric guitar itself.
Sorry from me, no offense.

Tone pot push/pull with kill switch on the up position. I use the Tone control as well but only at 10 and about 5.
This is good because it does not change the look of the guitar. If you don't want to just turn the guitar off but want to use it for the killer sound effects you could use a dedicated kill pot, e.g. the Shadow SH124-500.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Maybe back in the day when amps only had one channel and there were no pedals available a tone knob was a very useful thing but these days with all the channels and stomp boxes and presets...... what do you guys actually use the tone for?
I must admit I only touch the tone to make sure it's on Max, I do use the volume a lot but never had any use for the tone.
Which brings me to my second point. I've never had any use for a kill switch either. Never needed it, never wished I had it and never missed not having it.
So there's some of us who think the tone pot and the kill switch are equally pointless. :)

·
Registered
530 Posts
what do you guys actually use the tone for?
That's how I thought until earlier this year. Always kept it on 10 because it didn't seem to change anything until it was on 2-3 and then my guitar sounded like crap.

I picked up a les paul several months back and while I've had and sold LPs in the past this one came with LUXE reproduction Bumble Bee capacitors. So I thought that was cool but didn't hear a difference. Just like before. Then I got some MojoTone pots for vol and tone.

Now there was a difference. On 10 is one sound. On 7ish sounds like a different guitar. On 5 still another guitar. That sweep of "tone" is what it should be about. It's the combo of parts. I took out the bees to sell and what I replaced them with didn't give me the same effect. So, I'm sold. YMMV

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
how and when do you ever use your guitars tone knob?
When playing with clean sounds. Generally for chords I will soften the sound by reducing the high end with the tone knob. On a strat I prefer to have one tone knob for the bridge pickup, and one for the neck/middle.

For some inspiration, feel free to check out this video:
(brilliant accent, bonus!)

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
For inspiration you link to a video of a guy talking about it? :)
How about a video of people actually using the tone?

This is probably my favorite guitar player and he is somewhat famous for rolling off the tone to get his "woman tone" and yet only 20 sec after he rolls off the tone he turns it back to 10 and hey presto, a much better sound comes out of that amp.
To me rolling off the tone sounds like putting a blanket over my speakers. The best frequencies get cut and you get a muddled muffled tone.

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
To me rolling off the tone sounds like putting a blanket over my speakers. The best frequencies get cut and you get a muddled muffled tone.
The "best frequencies" are subjective at best but i wonder if some people who don't use tone knob simply have hearing loss at the high-frequency spectrum.

high-frequency hearing is an issue with guitarists. Notables like SRV's tone changed from '85 to '87 in 2 short years. Vai has perhaps high-freq loss judging by his PAW tour... the list goes on and on... high-freq hell.

I just find it ironic guys have tons of tone-robbing pedals, hi-gain amps and hi-output pickups, compresser set to max then complain about tone knobs? WTF!

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Considering the tone pot actually cuts the high frequencies if I couldn't hear them I'd be just as happy rolling off the tone. As it happens I very much dislike not hearing the high frequencies coming out of my pickups which is why my tone is set to Max.
There are guitars with harsh pickups where I just roll off volume to get a smoother tone *cough*evolutions*cough* but still can't find any use for the tone.

Your point about 10 stomp boxes on the signal chain and setting the compressor to Max is totally valid though. I personally blame Vai and his smooth violin like tone. :)

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
Considering the tone pot actually cuts the high frequencies if I couldn't hear them I'd be just as happy rolling off the tone. As it happens I very much dislike not hearing the high frequencies coming out of my pickups which is why my tone is set to Max.
The pots cut the highs obviously... so people with high-freq hearing issues might want MAX tone because they don't hear how obnoxious and harsh it sounds.

Likewise the rolled-off tone sound more rolled off than it really is.

·
Registered
428 Posts
high-frequency hearing is an issue with guitarists. Notables like SRV's tone changed from '85 to '87 in 2 short years. Vai has perhaps high-freq loss judging by his PAW tour... the list goes on and on... high-freq hell.
Yes, Paul Gilbert has really suffered from hearing loss and he famously had shrieking tone... and no tone pot. I have some hearing loss from being a sound engineer. Personally I almost never use the bridge pup and definitely adjust tone when I do because of this. Look after your ears my friends!

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
I completely missed your point, that actually sounds plausible as most people stop hearing high frequencies after a certain age but that's true for pretty much all people.
For reference check out the anti-loitering alarm utilised by some businesses in the UK to deter "young" people from gathering outside shops, etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mosquito

Anyway, in the clip I posted I don't see how Clapton's tone sounds harsh or obnoxious, especially after he switches to the neck pickup. It just sounds all creamy. :) I guess it's a preference.
Having a tone to roll off the highs may be a great idea if the guitar only has a bridge humbucker.

Just wanted to add that on my amp the treble is set to 4 so I definitely don't like crazy high tone, just prefer to dial the tone at the amp.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts