Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. This has been talked about before, but the thread was talking about a ZR trem not an Edge Pro.

How can I improve the flutter of my Edge Pro to get that long, strong flutter that an OFR gets?? Ill list things that will usually be asked about to narrow down the steps to achieving that flutter.

I use 9-46 gauge strings
my springs are broken in, since 3 years go.
My trem arm is nice and tight.
I use 3 springs in parallel, "l l l"

are there any other factors that will contribute to obtaining a great flutter?? Or am I doomed with the crappy flutter of the Edge Pro?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
The simple answer is that you can't.

With that being said, there are a few variables that make the OFR flutter like it does. One of those is that the block is made out of brass whereas the ones on the Edge family of trems are made out of a different material. Unfortunately for you, you can't get a replacement block for the Edge Pro but there is one made for the original Edge/Lo-Pro Edge.

Jimmy:smile:

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
The simple answer is that you can't.

With that being said, there are a few variables that make the OFR flutter like it does. One of those is that the block is made out of brass whereas the ones on the Edge family of trems are made out of a different material. Unfortunately for you, you can't get a replacement block for the Edge Pro but there is one made for the original Edge/Lo-Pro Edge.

I thought only Gotoh floyds and Ping floyds had brass blocks. I thought the main reason for its flutter was size, from a physics standpoint it makes sense, but also friction on the studs and weight goes with it.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Does anyone have a basic impression of how various double locking bridges compare to each other, from a more than technical standpoint?

Only because I've noticed that everyne here knows how the various bridges differ, myself included, but nobody or nothing I've read, has listed how each bridge feels and flutters in say, a review style. It makes it difficult for me to pick a bridge out for a custom project. I very much love the ZR trems, but I would like more flutter for example. On the same token, I've been told that FRs have a more 'direct' feel than any ibanez trem, which is another reason I'm drawn to a gotoh floyd. But then again, does the gotoh have the same direct feel, because its arm holder is very different.

anyone?

·
Banned
2,458 Posts
I have an idea that worth a try. I use 9's on my OFR equipped guitar. But I also only have 2 springs on the back. It flutters much better with 2 springs than 3. You gotta crank the screws way in though. I'd give it a try, wont cost you anything. Perhaps I'll try it on my RG570...

·
Registered
9,320 Posts
The Gotoh is great. Brass block, steel trem. It flutters great, and the arm holder is the best design. If I could retrofit the Gotoh design on all my guitars I would.

·
Registered
357 Posts
i use .10 gauge on my edge pro and it flutters nicely. i also have a guitar with an OFR and it's flutter is stronger but is only slightly longer. btw i use 3 springs in parallel and they are only about 2 years old.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
Here's a good video for reference:

The reason I specified brass earlier was because I was under the impression that brass had more mass than whatever is used on the Edge family of trems. Also, keep in mind that if you increase the block size, you're bound to get more sustain due to the added weight of the block itself but, that's a matter of debate as well.

Lastly, here's a good site that sells aftermarket tremolo blocks for OFR's as well as Edges/Lo-Pro's.

http://www.floydupgrades.com/

Watch the video and draw your own conclusions...

·
Registered
940 Posts
Here's a good video for reference:

The reason I specified brass earlier was because I was under the impression that brass had more mass than whatever is used on the Edge family of trems. Also, keep in mind that if you increase the block size, you're bound to get more sustain due to the added weight of the block itself but, that's a matter of debate as well.

Lastly, here's a good site that sells aftermarket tremolo blocks for OFR's as well as Edges/Lo-Pro's.

http://www.floydupgrades.com/

Watch the video and draw your own conclusions...

That was a great vid. I love that he had a good, honest opinion about edges rather than just saying that they are terrrible, and amazing that his stayed in tune for as long as it did.

·
Registered
479 Posts
i agree, that was an excellent video. I must admit, I didn't really know what flutter was before that guy demonstrated it. It's cool, but I wouldn't miss it if I didn't have it with my trem:)

·
Vendor
26,484 Posts
Sorry, the guy lost me when he said never adjust action at pitch. The system was designed to be adjusted at pitch.

·
Registered
357 Posts
you can adjust the height under tension. i love demo's video's though, he does a lot of comparison vids which are fun to watch. to lube my pivot points, i prefer to use a lube like "big bends nut lube" rather than chapstick which tends to collect dirt. but i've used both and they both work. just clean the old chapstick gunk off every other string change.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
But... they are lol
I disagree. The ZR on my S2170 is by far the better system than the Original Edge on my RG550EX, and thats before AND after both guitars were setup and given a full fret level by my local technician. The only flaw comparitively is the arm holder. But unfortunately, the flaw is that it breaks. When it was working, I considered it a better holder than the edge, and have now replaced it with an OFR holder, which is also superior.

Also, the RG550EX has a much much weaker acoustic tone than the S2170FW ever did, barely audible in a normal room, whereas the S2170's acoustic sound is reasonably audible even outside in daytime.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts