Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have an RG1570 and i think sometime soon I'm going to change the pickups. I'm pretty sure that i want to change the bridge and neck pickups to dimarzio D activators. I dont use the single coil much at all and was wondering if i could get a pick guard similar to and rg770 but without the single coil and a solid color and just take out the single coil and put in a 3 way switch. would there be any problems with doing this? also if i can do it and anyone knows where i could get a pick guard like that it would be helpful.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
how come you don't just lower the single all the way down and save yourself the trouble? maybe one day you'll decide to use it.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
i have an RG1570 and i think sometime soon I'm going to change the pickups. I'm pretty sure that i want to change the bridge and neck pickups to dimarzio D activators. I dont use the single coil much at all and was wondering if i could get a pick guard similar to and rg770 but without the single coil and a solid color and just take out the single coil and put in a 3 way switch. would there be any problems with doing this? also if i can do it and anyone knows where i could get a pick guard like that it would be helpful.
You can do it. You'll have to drill holes in it to mount the gaurd but other than that it should work. But like others have said you can wire around it and just lower the single coil and save yourself cash and trouble.

Or you can just keep thwe single coil. I don't see why not. You still can use the humbuckers full tilt as well as get bubbley strat tones in the 2 and 4 positions, which you can not do with only two humbuckers. Not without a tricky wiring job, new pots and the right pickups (I'm not sure, but I don't think D-Acs are good for tapping to get single coil sounds). I know everyone is different but honestly HSH is a very useful configuration with tons of variety.

But I always say: your set up is yours and mine is mine so do what makes you get the most enjoyment out of playing the guitar. Good luck with whatever your choice is.

·
Registered
433 Posts
You can do it. You'll have to drill holes in it to mount the gaurd but other than that it should work. But like others have said you can wire around it and just lower the single coil and save yourself cash and trouble.

Or you can just keep thwe single coil. I don't see why not. You still can use the humbuckers full tilt as well as get bubbley strat tones in the 2 and 4 positions, which you can not do with only two humbuckers. Not without a tricky wiring job, new pots and the right pickups (I'm not sure, but I don't think D-Acs are good for tapping to get single coil sounds). I know everyone is different but honestly HSH is a very useful configuration with tons of variety.

But I always say: your set up is yours and mine is mine so do what makes you get the most enjoyment out of playing the guitar. Good luck with whatever your choice is.
I agree with all you said here. The 550 I have was already modified with just an Evo in the bridge position when I got it, so all I did was add a neck HB. Also it didn't require drilling holes for the pick guard. So ya, I wouldn't mess with the middle single coil in that 1570. That much modification would probably decrease the value of the guitar anyway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts