Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1,895 Posts
If you're using 0000 steel wool, they will be easy to get out. If it's 000 then NEVER go against the grain. Either way, I'll use a razor blade in the parallel to the grain to scrape them off. Sometimes that removes less wood than trying to sand or steel wool them, because it pushes the wood down as its going across. Also it's not simply replacing the bad scratches with different scratches, or scratches going in the "less visible" direction.

· Registered
1,895 Posts
The blade should go WITH THE GRAIN!-In the direction of the strings. Go from one fret to the other. You can go lightly and quickly, or use one harder stroke. Maybe experiment on something. I don't know if you have any rosewood around, but try to get a feel for it, even if it's just on scrap wood or cardboard even. A blade can do big damage quickly. Keep it mostly perpendicular to the neck (as in straight up in the air) but angle it kind of like you'd angle a paint brush going back and forth. Its kind of like a painting motion.

· Registered
1,895 Posts
I agree, and Naptha is my choice for removing tough grime. But this is about what to do after you already put scratches into the wood. The blade is still the best method, unless you're going to have it refretted. Then they'll all come out in the fretboard levelling.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.