Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im thinking about buying a pack tomorrow, ive never tried them before, there are many kinds on the site but doesn anyone know wich ones can bend the easiest, ive always used regular slinky's E.B.

·
Registered
9,335 Posts
I've been using GHS Boomers since I started playing 13 odd years ago. I now use the .10 to .46s and they are a great string(s). This is on an RG with floyd rose style bridge.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I use ghs boomers a lot; 9-46 and 10-46, depending on the guitar.

Since you're looking for easy bends you should start off with a 9-42 set (GB-XL or something like that??), but afaik the regular slinkys you used so far are 10-46 , so you'll have to adjust your guitar a bit (and maybe your playing).

Anything in particular that you don't like about ernie balls? Why not try a set of super slinkys?

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
To me the Ernie Ball slinkys are harder to bend than other brands in the same guage. I've switched back and fourth seveal times and I'm sure it's not my imagination.

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
GHS Boomers are all I use. (.009) I switched from the E.B. Super Slinky a few years back. I have never bought another pac of Slinky's. Try out the Boomers man....you'll love um;)

·
Registered
139 Posts
GHS boomers man. i use them sometimes. they're great. most of the time a pack of d'addarios. they're great to. I like both .9's and .10s

·
Registered
527 Posts
I almost always use boomers. I've tried D'addarios and Slinkies very few times, but Boomers are the ones for me!

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Yep, I was converted to Boomers buy my tech.

I was using extra slinkys (.8's) now I use GHS .10's, and I am loving them.

A word of caution though. Don't be tempted to try the ZW Custom set. I put a set on my ZW Custom (good Les Paul copy, with a sticker set from Brian at Universal Jems) when I first built the guitar. I can now give the most powerful wedgies known to man, I have hands like an orangutang. It is like having the Midas touch, I cannot hold what I truly love in case I crush it. Mind you, if you are basically evil this may suit you :) Your milage may vary.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I tired using the GHS boomers, but they sounded awfully flat and lasted only about 4 days for me until they were totally flat a twangy. I switched to D'Addarios and those were plenty better, but i finally settled on elixirs with the anti rust coating, theyre fantastic. For me if i find a set of strings harder to bend then another, i think its good becaause it only stengthens your hand.

·
Registered
520 Posts
GHS started selling to Walmart about the middle of last year. Not all the stores carry them though, including mine. What does a set go for there?
Josh

·
Registered
383 Posts
I've been using Boomers for about 7 years now... 9's CL's, 10's and TNT's mostly.

They bend easier than compeditive brands and sound better IMO...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts