Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
When I saw this, I wondered if only Gibson endorsed artist, like Slash, will be signed. Also, will they stipulate what guitars and amps must be on the albums.
I guess we will have to see how this plays out.

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think Gibson Records is only for Gibson artists (kind of like a “perk”) so there should not be much of a problem regarding the instruments used.

As for Mesa/Boogie, guitarists seem to be quick to blame but also quick to forgive. If Gibson runs Mesa into the ground, forgiveness may take a while.

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Out of curiosity, do you guys/gals think this Gibson Records venture makes sense? Shows promise?

In some ways, it makes a lot of sense. You have a trinity of music-musician-guitar company reinforcing and supporting one another. I admit that is my idealistic perspective but not out of the realm of possibility. For example, Kirk Hammett is now an endorser for both ESP and Gibson which suggests Gibson is relaxing their rules a little bit...or maybe just for Kirk Hammett.

However, Gibson’s track record of trying new things has been questionable. Or perhaps they have not been trying the “right” new things all these years. Your thoughts?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Since Gibson is based in Nashville and Nashville has become a major music city, for all types of music, it makes sense. It remains to be seen if any major player, who has been endorsed by another company, changes to Gibson just for a record contract.

I think that Kirk's ESP contract allows him to play anything he wants, because he has played other Gibsons and a few Jackson's over the years. I am sure ESP is willing to let him do what he wants, as Metallica is probably the most popular metal band in the world.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts