Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm just up now after going up to Dublin yesterday and taking the latest bus home.

Me and my friend Rory went up together and since we got there nice and early, we had loads of time to check out Dublins music stores.

Played some Jems, played some Laneys, played some other kick ass guitars and amps, and that would have made a great day in itself.

Then we went to the Clinic. We waited in line for quite a while so we could get right up next to him. It was worth the wait. When Paul came on he said "I always like to start like this, just to play my favourite chord, E, and to play it slow and soft. I'm famous for being fast and loud, but maybe I forgot how to play fast. Yep, right now your thinking "He can't remember ho to play fast anymore! I ewant my money back!!" But don't worry because".....<one mother of a guitar solo>

He played some bitchin tracks. Super Heros, Scarified, Technical Difficulties, etc. then he covered ABBA. The teaching sections were great and really informative, but I probably shouldn't have brought my guitar. Gave us simple drills and that, with alot of talk about timing. He also did a short section on singing.

We had to leave early to catch our bus. We had to walk by Paul to leave, and he asked if we had to leave early and we told him about it. We got to talk to him one on one for a few minutes just before we left, and he answered some of our questions and gave great answers. Then Rory asked him to sign his guitar and he did. He shook our hands we thanked him and left. We probably talked to him for longer than anybody else there.

All in all, great experience and great guy.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
EKG said:
PG is awesome! He doesn't slow down. Great sense of humor. Curious....what guitar(s) did he play?
He played his PGM 300 that he had converted to a hartail. He also played a stock PGM 301 for a very short time.

He played through the Laney GH100L, TT100, and VC15.

I couldn't get a good look at his pedals.

Colorado Bulldog Tubarao, not anytime that soon. I gotta learn Scarified and Technical Difficulties first.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
fleeeep said:
Was that you that left before the end and got him to sign the guitar on the stage?
We had to leave early to catch the bus home. We had to walk by the stage to exit, and Paul asked us why we had to leave, then he talked to us for like 10 minutes, my friend asked him to sign his guitar and Paul did. the he offered to shake our hands and the like as we left. And he said he liked my t-shirt.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
I saw him last night at Letchworth, he was awesome! I was sitting in the front row too (like 5ft away), just to his left. Very ammusing guy. He can play anything too. He can play such a wide variety of styles its untrue, one minute he is shredding over metal backing tracks, and the next he is playing Beatles tracks, or Dancing Queen, or The Spice Girls - lol.

I met him afterwards too, got loads of stuff signed. Had a chat. Such a nice guy, and he hasn't got a huge ego in any way shape or form. He just thinks of himself as a normal guy, no different from everybody else - which is a nice way to be.

It was an amazing gig/clinic, and I learnt alot from it too.

I have loads of pictures, I will have to host some soon.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Paul was on staff at GIT when I was there in 1988. I went to one of his classes and he had an old Marshall head hooked up to a toaster oven. He was using the toaster as a variac and wanted to know if we thought the Marshall souded better than his ADA rig. He's a funny guy and a monster player.

Maybe Paul will do a clinic at my shop... I'll have to inquire about this!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.