Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
I have always really liked the look of the Godin Freeway series. They are very good value for money, are built very solid, sound pretty good, so all-round nice guitars!

My particular favourite is the Godin Detour, the fixed-bridge version. I hate floyds, so this model suits me down to the ground. They look like nice little guitars to me.

I also liked the older Artisan series too.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was also wondering how that series of guitars compares to my SZ520QM I was looking at trying one that sounds as good if not better than what i already have. I was looking at the freeways because that woody color finish that you can get on them looks really beautifulm akes me want one.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
I've tried both the SZ520 and the Freeway Classic. They're both very good. Though they both are very unique in character, I'd have to side with the Godin. That's just my personal opinion. Why don't you try out a Freeway for yourself? ;)

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll give it a shot but for me to try one i'd have to buy one. You see i live in a small town and we only have 1 music store and all they stock is ibanez and ashton. so for me to get a godin guitar i'd have to order it from a larger city or from overseas like ********.com.

Thats why i've asked so many questions.
(Side note: my SZ520 was a first year or something of production and didnt have the now standard Duncan/ibanez pickups either)
I mean i dont know how accurate the pictures are to what the actual guitar looks like but i've seen some very beautiful pictures of the freeway classic
http://img473.imageshack.us/img473/16/freewayclassicperspe5lc.jpg
that pic

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Godins are great guitars, I was never too big on the Freeways (didn't like the looks, and they felt a little bulky to me for some reason), but the LGs are very cool. The more high end LGs, as well as the Flat5s and Montreal models are very cool for jazzy stuff. And their fretless solidbody acoustics (does that even make sense) are ridiculously cool.

Overall, great guitars for the money, and they're from Quebec ;-)

·
Registered
9,429 Posts
isida.d said:
I'll give it a shot but for me to try one i'd have to buy one. You see i live in a small town and we only have 1 music store and all they stock is ibanez and ashton. so for me to get a godin guitar i'd have to order it from a larger city or from overseas like ********.com.
Dude, Davis Wheeler music in Canberra stock them. Check out their site here --> http://www.daviswheeler.com.au/. They are good blokes in the guitar section. They may be able to help you out.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, but they dont have the freeway leaf top.
If they did i could of course buy the guitar there via weborder or something but i still live on the other side of the country from canberra so i still couldnt try it out before i bought it.
HOwever a friend of mine from the netherlands has a recording of his friend playing one of the guitars i'm interested in looking at and it sounds superb i almost find it hard to believe that its actually a godin freeway .... i think it was recorded with a SA model.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I might buy a Freeway Classic Leaftop as a second guitar to go along with my Ibanez SZ520QM Then :).
Is it possible to upgrade the trem on it to a wilkenson bridge? :p if i could that would rock so i'm told.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
A friend of mine just bought a Freeway Classic leaf top on my sugestion. It is great. The neck is really nice, and you can get all kinds of sounds out of it. I was even able to use to whamy bar fairly heavy and it stay'd in tune great. The best part is the price. You really can't go wrong.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.