Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well tonight I'm going to see Paul Gilbert and his singer Freddie Nelson play. I'm pretty stoked because I've never seen Paul Gilbert live. I don't think they'll allow me to bring a camera, but I can probably take some cell phone pics, I try and post some if I can get any good ones.

The only thing that sucks about it is that since they announced the Mr. Big reunion I'm a little less excited about this. I thought that this new comlaberation was going to be PG's big deal and new adventure and I was stoked, but the Mr. Big thing seems to be taking the spotlight. I hope it is just for the one show. I like Paul And Freddie 20x more than Mr. Big.

·
Registered
9,306 Posts
You lucky thing, would love to see the PG and FN show. The album is fantastic, and I bet live it will be just as amazing. Don't let the Mr Big reuinion sour it for you though, just enjoy the show. :)

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
They played almost all of the new record mintermixed with some of Paul's solo stuff (both instrumental and vocal) a cover of 'Let it Be,' and of course 'Scarified'. For the encore they played another song from 'United States' and a cover of Statesboro Blues with Freddie and Paul trading licks. Paul is the cleanist while playing fast I have ever seen live in my life. It was amazing, he didn't make any major mistakes besides throwing his Fireman up at the finale and while trying to bring it down with his tradmark detune divebomb thingy, hit the mic stand which kept him from doing what he was trying in the first place. So we heard a big thud instead of a descending 6th string.

A lot of people probably are wondering "How good is Freddie?" From what I saw he is a good guitarist, but Paul is head and shoulders above Freddie. Freddie is definately a good musician he is able to play in a lot of modes and do a few unique musical things while playing. However, his technique isn't amazing, he is more like a band's lead guitarist than a virtuoso like Paul. He wears his guitar silly low and crouches over to play solos and I think it hurts his ability to shred live. A few people have thought that Freddie and Paul trade solos on the track 'Last Rock and Roll Star,' they do not (at least not at the show I was at). It is all Paul's solo work. Freddie does harmonies sections with Paul and so on, but doesn't really do any soloing on the 'United States' tracks. But he can sing and he does really well live, not a bad note out of him all night. It also looks like singing deminishes his playing ability a little bit. He can play and sing but he really simplifies his playing while singing.

I have to give it a B- (on the American grading scale). Paul's playing was awesome and the band was killer tight. Freddie's singing performance was great as well. However, the setlist and dynamics of the songs were hodgepodgey. I respect that Paul likes to play more "have a good time," rock than other contemperary gutiarists, but I felt as if the atmosphere was waning, I didn't feel lost in the music. And sorry but, Freddie, talented as he is, has a strange stage presence and does a lot of awkward moves trying to look cool. It's distracting.

Some songs would get me in the rocking mood and then immediately after a goofy song would be played. I don't dislike "Goin' down to Mexico" but it's mood is such a far cry from a cover of "Let it be" that the mood was wishy washy. But I realize that it is my preferance. I think it might be more of the 80s way of just having a good time, but for me I don't like too much talking or joking between songs or too many "Hello Nagoya!!! Domo Arigato! Thankyou so much we appreciate it we love you Ngoya etc," thrown between songs. I'm too serious I guess.

Like I said, the talent and performance of all the musical parts was great so don't feel discouraged if you are looking forward to seeing them. Just the atmosphere and mood wasn't to my liking as much as a lot of other concerts I have been to.

*Edit*
I almost forgot to say everyone Paul, Freddie and Mike played Ibanez guitars and basses.

Freddie played a Jpanese only Artist in brown cayman that is almost exactly Les Paul shaped the whole concert, but with I'm guessing DiMarzios replacing the stock pickups.

Paul Played the single coiled Fireman for almost every song with vocals and the 401 for almost every instrumental. Both were beautiful in real life especially the 401. The sunburst on that swamp ash is gorgeous, and the way stage lights hit it makes it apear a little different every tiem you look.

Mike Szuter played an Ibanez bass but I forgot which type it was like an older ATK style without the large tailpiece.

I couldn't get any pics. Even when I had my cell phone out to check if my wife called, security came over and told me to put it away. I think it's lame how much they care. Like, my cell phone pic will really compare with the professional photos. Oh well.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Damit kotornut. My name has been up here for 2 months under ac dc show. Every time i log in I could scroll down and see my name as the last post, and you ruined it! But seriously that sounds awesome, freddie is great. and well paul is paul. have fun

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am waiting to see for that lovely snaps. Hurry up!!

---------------
Thanks
Alex
Encourages others to share start-up stories lessons by John Detitta

1 - 7 of 7 Posts