Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys! Just wanted to share pics of my 2 year long project, lol. My first born brought things to a near standstill, but I'm finally close to putting the top coat on. I never intended to make a journal but I've got all these pics, so I decided to share. Nothing extravagant here, I'm making the guitar I would have gotten from the custom shop if I hadn't been a broke kid when it was open.

Here's the plan, photoshop mockup on someone else's pic and my paint choice, more to come...

Mockup, not real, not mine... yet

HOK PBC57 Lite Teal over BC26

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Takin' a Ride answered my call for a busted up 560 body with his fully stripped 760DG. This will be my first paint job, working from bare wood has proven to be a hefty task. He torched this one, I took his advice and torched a 570 project and agree there's no faster or easier way to remove old paint and sealer. Personally, I think I'm better off painting over the stock finish from now on.

I scored an '87 RG550RF neck with no cracks and a touch of m0j0 8) (half cleaned here so I can add my own)

Cleaned and sprayed a can of nitro on it

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
This old 760 was an early one with pickup rings. I ran across a cellulose filler called plastic wood, I think. On a whim, I decided to try a direct mount conversion with it, if it comes out looking like butt I'll just put a ring over it.

Filled some cracks, fixed some scorched edges, hid the switch screws, and moved the vol knob out. Knob and switch were afterthoughts so there are some pics coming where the work is missing.

Then I spent a year or so sanding, leveling, filling, sealing and priming. I continually found spots I'd missed and would fix them and start over. I didn't rush this part and I neglected it in the garage often.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
During grain filling I mocked it up to test fitment and jam for a minute. It's actually getting a black LoPro.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ready for paint FINALLY!!

My garage last week

A few coats of BC26, looks cool white. Some day I want to do this with a reverse headstock, white pick guard and black hardware.

And that's where I'm at now, I hope to have the teal paint on in a week or two. Thanks for looking! -J

·
Registered
5,794 Posts
Haha nice! For some reason I thought that this body had turned into something else where it was stained red and actually took advantage of the char marks.

I'm still a fan of the heat method of stripping but this was the first one I did and I'd do it differently next time. For starters, I'd use a heat gun instead of a propane torch. Secondly, a lot of those char marks came from me trying to fry off the base coat, which is totally unnecessary. Either that or take off the base coat with chemical stripper, which the poly clear is basically impervious to.

What you really want to remove for respraying is the massively thick polyester clear coat, which literally flies right off the guitar with heat. That should be able to be removed without charring the body and the base coat is actually good for sealing the wood.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I look at it this way, it gave me lots of unexpected experience working with raw wood, and also made it clear that I need to work on my sanding. :) The extra challenge is the reason I haven't quit on it, but at this point I'm ready to overlook certain things and put the sand paper away for a while.

Thanks for looking everyone!

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, as usual I got sidetracked. Besides the wind, we're having some great painting weather down here, today. I don't know how these pics are going to work out, I tried to adjust the color because they came out blue, and this guitar damn sure isn't blue, more of an emerald green. Still not exact but at least it doesn't look blue.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
if you have a regular spray rig, just get some 2 part auto clear like shopline. Same as the spraymax only should be less overall.

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
Love the color. It will look great cleared and polished. Are you doing the headstock that color too? That would look cool with a gold Ibanez USA Custom headstock logo.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts