Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cousin wants to take up bass, but in order to do so my uncle wants him to be really interested in music. So my cousin has asked me if I can get some good some that has good bass lines in it. What would you guys recommend? Whether its instrumental or if it contains vocals. Anything from Jazz to Metal (no Death Metal please, 'cause its against my religion :D).

·
Registered
135 Posts
Jaco Pastorius with Weather Report; Jack De Johnette with Miles Davis and Keith Jarrett; John Myung with Dream Theater; Stu Hamm with Satch and Vai; and of course Billy Sheehan. These are where I would start, then work from there.

·
Registered
540 Posts
heh... Jaco Pastorius is the best! but thats aiming really high really quickly
he said he hasn't even taken up the bass yet!!

as a part-time bassist (90% of the time i play guitar) i always found the cure great to jam to.. stuff like "love song" and "fascination street" - pretty simple but great fun and a more realistic place to start!!

Tool's bass player is great too.. jamming along to anything off Aenima or Lateralus is guaranteed to give your sense of rythmn a good workout!!

·
Registered
631 Posts
Don't bombard him with great players like wooten else he'll probably feel so over welmed by it he'll end end up either giving up or playing bass 24/7 to get that good. It's gotta be a style he likes, it's all well and good saying oh check this amazing ott jazz stuff out but when it doesn't interest him it's pointless. Something poppy like chili peppers or even a band like No Doubt have quality bass lines in and are a good place to start.
I showed an old bass student of mine wooten in i think his 3rd lesson, this was just to show him what can be done with the instrument, he was impressed but found chili peppers more interesting and as most thier new stuff is so easy he picked it up pretty quick.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Groove & time oriented stuff should be used for brainwashing the bass aspirant. Who needs another sloppy Sheehan wannabe who can play time to save his life?

Blood Sugar Sex Magic & Californication both have good bass lines that will improve his chops and time. Just remember to buy him a metronome!

Actually, playing anything he likes to play will help him develop his skills.

·
Super Moderator
9,753 Posts
Rush, Yes, Dregs (with Andy West), Beatles; almost everything has decent bass if you just listen for it. I'd personally start off with Yes' "Close to the Edge". Old enough for tabs to be around, easy to find, classic prog, great bass. But really anything by Yes or Rush should be fine. Victor Wooten might scare the guy!

·
Registered
437 Posts
There are enough tapping, slapping, funking, popping "technique-freak" bass players out there already. We need more bass players playing for the song, and grooving.
With that in mind, i suggest getting him a King's X album. ("Tapehead" has always been one of my favorites)
peace

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.