Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok right now i have a 97 bonneville SE and it's KILLING my pocketbook with the way gas prices are. Plus it doesn't have all that much room for any gear. It was ok, but i just bought a rack/head ATA flight case combo which is NOT gonna fit in that car. So what i'm looking for is a smaller car with a bit of cargo room. My mom has a Pontiac Vibe with a 5 speed. i kinda like it cuase it's pretty good on gas and the seats in the back fold down, so there's a bit of room for stuff. I'm considering getting one of those, but i'd like to hear some other opinions from other gutiar peopel who have the same problem.. thanks guys

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
safe to say don't buy a miata!

there are heaps of options out there. it all depends on what you're willing to trade off for practicality. like, probably the best vehicle for shifting gear would be some sort of minivan, but who wants to be seen in a minivan??

me, i get about in a ford explorer these days. has shiat loads of room, but v8 is mighty thirsty. (do not go for the optional dvd player. i did. but how often do i sit in the back seat? never. and i don't have kids)

i reckon something like the toyota matrix/pontiac vibe would be a pretty good compromise of cargo/mpg/price.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
another good thing is my dad works at a pontiac dealer. so i could probably get a sweet deal. I know GM has that whole "everyone gets employee discount", but i bet there is still a little more for actual employees. maybe not though.. not sure. i'll be checking shortly though

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
i've always found that hatchbacks make excellent gear carriers, for example the volkswagen golf (one of my favorite rides in general in my opinion. The hond civic CSX isn't bad either. I've also heard nothing but good things about the toyota matrix. Good luck with your search!

·
Registered
291 Posts
My '97 Honda CRV is small enough to feel like a car, but roomy enough to fit my Marshall cab (1960B) in the back, standing up, with the wheels on it, and 3 ibanez guitars in the cases, with an amp head. This is without folding the seats down. So yea, all that and 4 people in the car besides me. Don't look into these if your passengers like arm rests.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
My friend has a Honda Element. It's a sweet car/van/something. I don't know what the hell you'd classify it as... but it's VERY roomy, the seats fold up and to the sides, opening up the entire back of the vehicle. Very practicle, and strange : )

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
You could get a Golf TDI. If you have good access to a diesel filling station, it will give you 50+ MPG (real world driving) and it will swallow a lot of gear. a 4x12 cab might be a bit of a stretch, but i've had my rack, my G-Flex 2x12, a bass combo, three guitars, a few bags of miscellaneous gear, a box of t-shirts and three passengers all in our Golf. (at the same time)

·
Registered
484 Posts
2 seater sports car, convertible...

pros: Gets the girls, simulates some form of status, easy to let strange smells out, gets the girls and...... the girls like it.

cons: Can't swallow more than a pedalboard....

(did I mention this kind of car gets the girls ? )

·
Registered
383 Posts
EL-CeeDee said:
2 seater sports car, convertible...

pros: Gets the girls, simulates some form of status, easy to let strange smells out, gets the girls and...... the girls like it.

cons: Can't swallow more than a pedalboard....

(did I mention this kind of car gets the girls ? )
I had a '74 Corvette and I managed to get my Line 6 AX2 and 3 guitars in hardshells in it...

·
Registered
636 Posts
wagons, like subarus and such. my acura integra can carry my head, 4x12 and 2 guitars easily.... so usually the other guys try to off load their stuff in my car, bastards!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Or you could drive what I drive. MINI Cooper, 4x12 cab, three guitars, floorboard, 6u rack cabinet, stands, leads, tools, no bother! I always feel like a circus clown when I arrive at the gig, I open the boot of my little car, and the gear keeps coming out over and over :)

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
The woman has a Toyota Matrix. It can fit about as much stuff in it as a Chevy Blazer or a small SUV. It gets 30+mpg and you can get one new for ~$20k. Not a bad idea.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts