Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've made a similar thread on the JCF forums. I thought I was set on the Jackson KE2, but then I looked closer at the JEM7V. They have the exact same list price (to the penny!). And I was wondering (from the owners of this guitar), what are the major Pro's of the JEM7V?

Help me decide, they're the same price, and I like the look of them equally. A force is messing with my mind. :lol:

·
Registered
540 Posts
Well, I'm a little biased since I think the kelly guitars are fugly, but I still think the JEMs are higher quality than the USA Jacksons. My j.custom (made in the same place as jems) easily blew my friends soloist out of the water. The fretwork was definitely better on my guitar. Pickups are a personal choice, so I can't really advise there. The smooth neck finish on the jem definitely beats the finished jackson necks, and I think the 5 piece design is more stable than the quatersawn maple on the jacksons, but I'm not sure. Also, in my experience the edge series trems stay in tune better than the OFR

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!
The JCF's main arguments are:
-Hole drilled through the neck (at the nut) making it more unstable
-bad inlay quality
-Front loaded controls (less wood)= (less sustain)
------------
What do you think? True/false?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Thanks!
The JCF's main arguments are:
-Hole drilled through the neck (at the nut) making it more unstable
-bad inlay quality
-Front loaded controls (less wood)= (less sustain)
------------
What do you think? True/false?
The holes are stupid, but the neck joint now has a volute, greatly increasing the strength there so I doubt the holes for the locking nut will do much. I haven't seen any complaints of the usual cracks behind the nut on guitars with the volute

I've played 3-4 jems with vines, plus my j custom and the inlay quality has been top notch on all of them

I don't see how the front loaded controls require more removal of the wood, the pickup and control routing is all the same size, its not like they removed everything under the pickguard. I have never heard the argument that there is less wood on guitars with pickguard mounted electronics, but occasionally I do hear people saying the pickguards contact with the top of the guitar messes with sustain, but thats utter bs on a solidbody guitar. Maybe on a hollowbody, but it will have no effect on something like a jem

Also, I've played my j custom and my friends jem 7vwh back to back through the same amp and there was no major difference in sustain

Oh, and another plus for the jem- All access neck joint. The upper fret access on my j custom was definitely better than my friends soloist. The only guitars I've played that can compete with the Ibanez's for high fret access are the carvin neck through guitars

·
Registered
269 Posts
I noticed the 7VWH had pretty poor inlay settings, but you do REALLY have to look and from 6 inches away you can't tell so what?

The Jackson has a slightly modified standard Schaller Floyd Rose which is smaller and lighter then the 7V's which means when you bend the Jacksons trem moves more and at volumes that leads to more excessive string noise.

I know I have owed a DK2S Dinky, a Jackson Professional, and SL2H Soloist and a KE3 Kelly and all 3 trems are lighter and less dense than the Ibanez one. Which provides more sustain, you don't have to attack your ball ends with wire cutters, the trem "flutters" much better, you have a far deep rear cavity (if you really flick on the Jackson trem it WILL whack the body).

PLUS the Ibanez trem pulls up far greater than the Jackson due its rubbish trem cavity under the trem.

The Ibanez has much better pickups and range of sound, the neck is narrower than the standard wide flat Jackson, this means the Ibanez is much better for chords at the first 4 frets and much easier to play big bends right at the top of the neck without the quick string decay you get from the Jackson.

If you want to use the trem (properly) get a good range of clean and dirty sounds and have a guitar that is easy to play anything on get the Ibanez, I did.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
JCF says that the two holes drilled for the nut make a weakpoint in that area and make it prone to breakage.

·
Registered
458 Posts
i would choose the jackson, only because its neck thru and it has OFR, the pups are a personal preference and so is the neck.

·
Registered
540 Posts
JCF says that the two holes drilled for the nut make a weakpoint in that area and make it prone to breakage.
On older guitars, cracks sometimes developed between the screw holes. However, all the new Ibanez guitars have a volute which greatly increases strength behind the nut. I doubt the holes would seriously weaken the neck s=if the volute is also there

No, the Kelly in question has a bolt on neck.

If it were a neck through Kelly, then I'd recommend it over the JEM. But it's not, so I would go with the JEM.
No, its a neckthrough

http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/pr...kelly_usa_electric_guitar?full_sku=511471.001

"Similar to the Marty Friedman Signature Model, this US-made Kelly has the same radical Kelly styling, the same maple neck-thru design..."

I don't get the neckthrough hype though. The sustain isn't improved like people say, you're stuck with a sticky finished neck, and it inhibits upper fret access

·
Super Moderator
7,391 Posts
i would choose the jackson, only because its neck thru and it has OFR, the pups are a personal preference and so is the neck.
I like bolt on necks so I'd go for the JEM :D the OFR I love the sound of, but not the feel so I'd probably go for the edge family trems, so necks and trems are ALSO a personal preference.

·
Registered
859 Posts
On older guitars, cracks sometimes developed between the screw holes. However, all the new Ibanez guitars have a volute which greatly increases strength behind the nut. I doubt the holes would seriously weaken the neck s=if the volute is also there

No, its a neckthrough

http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/pr...kelly_usa_electric_guitar?full_sku=511471.001

"Similar to the Marty Friedman Signature Model, this US-made Kelly has the same radical Kelly styling, the same maple neck-thru design..."

I don't get the neckthrough hype though. The sustain isn't improved like people say, you're stuck with a sticky finished neck, and it inhibits upper fret access
http://www.kellyindustries.com/guitars/jackson_ke2_kelly.html

Well, this is the only link I clicked on when I Googled "Jackson KE-2", and it said bolt on. That was my bad.

Since it is a neck through, I'd go for the Kelly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts