Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a Seymour Duncan (or Dimarzio, if you must) neck pickup that gets you that really thick creamy full lead sound for soaring solos i.e. not twangy. It would be going in an S320 on which I play metal, if that's any help, which also means it has to be 4-conductor or with that option. Gotta be passive too.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Alnico II Pro is good, you can get a good Slash-esque tone or you can tweak it yourself. The '59 ain't bad, either.

As far as Dimarzios go, the Air Norton is very full-sounding.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah interesting, cheers.

This might sound like a daft question but I take it there's no harm in say, having a ceramic pickup in the bridge, and an alnico one in the neck?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Dimarzio Paf Pro...
I have it in my Jackson KVX10 and it's really amazing... very warm and creamy, also very good note articulation at fast speeds...

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I have the Duncan '59 in the neck on a mahogany guitar. Very full and creamy, but still clear. The Dimarzio Paf Pro is also very nice imho.

Rock on!

·
Registered
592 Posts
I have a '59 in the neck position of my RG1527 (basswood body). Lately I've been noticing that it sounds a bit too bassy (but not really muddy) through my H&K amp. Still gotta try it through the Fender though.

I also have a mahogany-bodied RG2820 with a Duncan Jazz in the neck and it sounds lovely. I would describe it as: clear, articulate and with a lovely creamy sound available when you turn up the mids and drop the treble on your amp. Individual notes seem to stand out when chording. Maybe you should consider the Jazz?

·
Registered
103 Posts
yeah I was just about to say , how come nobody had recommended the SH-2N Jazz. I have an Air Norton(n) and Tone Zone(b) in my S520 and really like the air norton, not the tone zone so much.

I just got a JB (b) and Jazz(n) a couple days ago (not installed yet) to try out comparatively and once I do, I will go with the pickups I like best and sell the others. I actually try to buy the pickups im interested in as cheap as possible off the bay, then when I choose what I want I grab em new and in the desired colors, then I toss the prior ones up on the bay for someone else to try. lol

NOTHING beats trying them first though. Tone is FAR too subjective to take anyones word on what YOU should use. Only instead what you should TRY.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts