Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a Mesa Quad from auction and I'm thinking of getting a Voodoo Amps modded Marshall JMP-1 to run in conjunction using a GCX router. I'd like to run them through a single power amp by switching which one the signal is routed through. For the amp I am looking at the Mesa 20/20. Any problems forseen in using a JMP-1 through a Mesa 20/20. Any other suggestions for decent low wattage tube power amps??

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
I think the 20/20 has had some good reviews. I haven't tried it, but I don't think you can go very wrong with it.

·
Registered
4,924 Posts
the 20/20 is a sick all EL84 tube single rack power amp, its all tone. and don't let the 20 watt rating fool you, this amp is ****ing loud.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I just picked up a Mesa Quad from auction and I'm thinking of getting a Voodoo Amps modded Marshall JMP-1 to run in conjunction using a GCX router. I'd like to run them through a single power amp by switching which one the signal is routed through. For the amp I am looking at the Mesa 20/20. Any problems forseen in using a JMP-1 through a Mesa 20/20. Any other suggestions for decent low wattage tube power amps??
The 20/20 is a good power amp. IT offers some good tone and is well built. The only thing to keep in mind is that it is a El84 driven power amp. If you want more headroom or low end response, something like the mesa 50/50 would be a better choice. But otherwise, the Mesa 20 is fine.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I used to own the 20/20, it is probably the best lower wattage power amp around. And as stated earlier, it is sickeningly loud, takes up less space and sounds great. You can't go wrong.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
do you guys think it would be a good match to the Mesa Quad and modded marshall JMP-1?? I was reading in the Quad manual last night and saw a caution that said they don't recommend using any other power amp but the 295 or one other of there power amps, both older ones though. Is that probably becuase when the quad was built, the only mesa power amps they had were those 2??

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Mesa also recommends using only MESA branded tubes... they'd be foolish to lock themselves into a proprietary system that only could be used with other Mesa gear. That said, the 20/20 is very nice, I have one and it's always been ample for the situations I'm in. Figure the 50/50 is just a hair over 3db louder than the 20/20. Not to mention I love EL84's, they just sound good.

Bamm

1 - 10 of 10 Posts