Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after getting tired of my Line6 POD I bought a Mesa Studio amp off you know what site, and when it finally arrived via Fedex, I opened it up, and cringed when I saw glass at the bottom of the cabinet. An el84 and two 12ax7as got smashed, presumably during shipping. The seller was a certain online used instrument site, I don't know what the jemsite policy is on naming them, but they were an intermediary for the actual seller. I filed a Damaged Shipment claim but was told that Fedex does not cover vacuum tubes and amps should be shipped with the tubes removed and packaged seperately. So I filed a complaint against the seller because the amp was packaged improperly and asked to be reimbursed for two 12ax7 and a pair of el84 (since the repair shop told me they need to be purchased in pairs). From the intermediary's website, it looks like the seller has refused to pay for those.

This really ticks me off. The shipping was $70 for a 30lb amp, including $10 insurance. I've sent 70lb packages for about the same price through USPS. So I paid more for shipping than usual and also got useless insurance to go with it.

I went ahead and bought the tubes last night (electro harmonix EL84s and Sovtek and Groove Tubes 12ax7s). The amp sounds great. On the website of the 'intermediary' seller it says that I'm supposed to return the amp to the actual seller, but I received an email this afternoon from a rep asking whether that's what I want to do.

I've sold stuff on said auction site before. I had one item arrive damaged and I paid to have it repaired. It's just the professional thing to do.

What do you guys recommend?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I'm going to go out on a limb and say leave a negative review and move on. A couple of 84's and a 12AX7 is no bigey. You'll waste more time & headaches trying to recoup some small amount of compensation than your time is worth. Just be extra cautious next time.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Fedex covered my broken tubes, so I guess it comes down to how and who handles it. I probably wouldn't loose sleep over a few tubes either. Give compensation a chance, but don't go nuts.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
i had a cab get smashed by fedex. It was shipped from colorado springs went to denver to dallas to my town, was damaged went back to dallas went to denver back to dallas to colorado springs back to dallas and finally to denver were it was DISCARDED . THey didn't even deliver the damaged cab back to the seller. He filed a claim for the cab at the price it would have cost to replace it 400$ they denided the claim, they didn't deliver the cab back to the shipper therefore it should be thier responsibility to be liable for any and all costs of that cab. HOW the hell do you mess up a 4x12 cab so bad you just toss it in the dumpster?

Fedex sucks dont use them ever, they are cheap but there is a reason they are cheap. I have had fair luck with United Package Smashers but usps is the best way to go.

i know kind of how you feel. those dirty fedex rat bastards

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.