Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't post much around here but I do visit from time to time. I've been playing for more than 25 years. I know...I'm an old man compared to most JEMSITERS. I grew up playing Gibsons before getting into Ibanez in the late 80s. In the late 90s I had an AR700 & sold it after about a year. The medium frets didn't work for me. I loved the p/ups, though. And it's hard to explain but something about that axe just never seemed right to me so I let it go. So, I've been looking for an Artist or Les Paul type axe, on & off, since that time. About 6 months ago I set out to put this issue to rest. I wanted a Les Paul but not even Les Pauls were making me happy. The only one that *did* stir my coffee was a $2300+ LP Std. As nice as it was I couldn't justify that kind of $$$, not with a family to feed. I'm not in my 30s any more & my days of buying expensive guitars just to satisfy G.A.S. are over.
Anyway...I patiently checked out Les Pauls, SGs, Schecters, Hamer Studio Customs & Artist Customs, & the Peavey HP Sig EXP. All were in the running until I played an Ibanez AR300HS that had arrived the day before I saw it. I, too, have struggled with "the Korean thing" but I also knew the quality was good & getting better. The HP Sig EXP I'd been playing really convinced me Korean axes were worth it. I was about to get that axe even though it was a little bit of a compromise. But this day, the AR300 was there so I had to check it out before I bought the HP Sig. It was just what I'd been looking for. The Super 58s sounded EXACTLY as I hoped they would. As I played a few licks & chords & got the feel of it, I knew I was taking it home. I got the salesman to put it behind the counter & told him I'd be in after work the next day to pick it up. The next day when I arrived to buy the AR300, I was in for yet another surprise: the RGA-121VF that had been ordered months ago, had come in that morning. And to the dismay of one of the salesmen, the order had my name on it. Yes, I had "first dibbs" on it per the manager of the department because I had convinced him to order it in the first place. He knew I wanted to check it out. After about 5 minutes of playing it I knew it was going with me, too. The neck was the big issue with that gtr. I've owned several RGs & JEMS over the years & I knew what I wanted in an RG neck. This was a keeper. I'll probably replace the p/ups later. While the stock V7/V8 are good, I want a little more, especially from the neck. Still, I'll gig with it in stock trim & not be disappointed at all.
And....after two weeks I noticed I am playing the AR300 more than the RGA-121. I am blown away by this guitar. It's the one I'm reaching for first. My Gretsch Jet Firebird, 2004 Am. Ser. Strat, & new RGA-121 are jealous.
What can I say? Thanks, Ibanez.

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
Nice stash. If Ibanez is going to abandon selling the MIJ ARs they should reintroduce the 4-wire Super58s to allow for coil splitting, tri-core sound, etc. That would benefit customers dramatically, even if they left off the pots they could rewire without having to change pickups... glen

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
the.godfather: Whats your favourite then?

I prefer the AR300 which is is *no* way a dis of the RGA; just a personal preference.

rguser: I had a Bolt Plus & returned it a few months ago. It was a 2-piece ash body, transparent deep purple, Dunlop 6100s, rosewood fingerboard, maple neck, h/s/h with Holdsworth humbuckers & single-coil in the middle, 5-way switch, hardtail, chrome hardware, headstock matched body color.....pretty much the "ultimate" hardtail RG I've always wanted, or so I hoped. But it wasn't an RG & it wasn't for me. It was an excellent guitar, no doubt about that. However, the RGA-121 is, for me, the ultimate RG hardtail that I've wanted for quite some time.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Awesome Ibanez combo, Fasterlix! I was looking for the AR 300 with the 2005 finish, "Brown Sunburst" but wasn't having much luck. I even found a 2005 "Orient" release with an "Amber" finish that looked great! Just as I was about to drop $600+, I found out Rich had a MIJ AR2000 very reasonably priced. I just sent the remainder to Rich, so I'm looking forward to playing my Artist Prestige soon! How is the tuning stability on the Artist?

I also love both of the new RGA hardtails. I've seen the blue, RGA 321 F, in person and fell in "Lust"! Funds are a little limited this time of year for me, so,...I am having to decide between the RGA 321, or an RGT 320Q, ( I really like the feeling of the neck thru!), and it's not an easy choice. What do you dislike most about your RGA?

I am totally green with envy right now!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts