Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's funny (actually it's pathetic). I go out, I buy a guitar, and I either lose interest in it, or cannot get over the HUMP of the initial first couple of months where one has to learn from the bottom up.

Joe Satriani did it, Steve Vai did it, Paul Gilbert did it...EVERY SINGLE ARTIST/S WE LOVE, THEY DID IT. So I decided to GET OFF of MY ASS and conquer this beast for once and for all. I know it's been said that, that there is no way to "master" the guitar, because the more you learn and apply yourself, the larger the aperture opens and you are once again standing at the base of a new, conquerable mountain. Thus the cycle continues.

Point being, I am now the proud owner of an Ibanez Jem 77P in Blue Floral Pattern. I've been a fan and owner of an Ibanez guitar (that) I purchased in 1988 and owned it until 1989. It was an Ibanez RG550 in Desert Sun Yellow. I owned it and PLAYED IT EVERY SINGLE DAY for about 7 months. I was over "The Hump" (as I had discoursed on earlier). I was totally enamored with this guitar. I was later forced to sell it for reasons I'm not going to get into. Selling it was one of the worst mistakes in my life, but I was up against a wall and was forced to. Moving on...

So, back to the JEM. I've been playing for 2 weeks now, but REALLY PLAYING for roughly 1 hour in the afternoon, and another hour every day. I am determined to get past the "initial barrier", and with an axe like this, I'd feel like crap if I neglected this thing. This was a very expensive investment.

Incredibly, just 2 days ago, I threw caution to the wind, and just plunked down for a (Genesis Line) RG550, in DESERT SUN YELLOW. This means so much to me. Does anyone here know what kind of incredible LIGHT this thing (RG550) looks like in a blacklight tube bulb? It's STUNNING. No sh!t. It's a show-stopper, a true force of wonder. That's not why I bought this thing, but trust me, I know I'm not the only person to own an RG550 in desert sun yellow who has seen this. It's just a spectacal finish on any given guitar, but the 550 glows like the sun. It's a nice "icing on the cake", along with the fact that it plays and beautifully. I cannot wait until the guitar arrives.

Anyway, glad to be a part of this forum. You cats rock!!! :)

·
Registered
159 Posts
I want one of those as well. And I actually like the bridge on it. Apparently you can convert it to accept the pop in bar with torsion bushings.
At least this bridge, with or without the bushings, doesn't have the Fender-style screw-in trem arms! I wouldn't make this point over on S-T, but that's just the worst system ever. Probably a brilliant innovation in 1954, but everybody else moved on decades ago--and even Fender is abandoning it on all of its nicer lines. I try to keep things in perspective when I fret over the Edge bushings vs. Floyd screw-in "dilemma". At least neither one is a Fender screw-in!

More on point, a bit anyway, that blue floral Jem is gorgeous. Having something that cool around would definitely motivate me to pick it up and play more!

·
Registered
159 Posts
At least this bridge, with or without the bushings, doesn't have the Fender-style screw-in trem arms! I wouldn't make this point over on S-T, but that's just the worst system ever. Probably a brilliant innovation in 1954, but everybody else moved on decades ago--and even Fender is abandoning it on all of its nicer lines. I try to keep things in perspective when I fret over the Edge bushings vs. Floyd screw-in "dilemma". At least neither one is a Fender screw-in!

More on point, a bit anyway, that blue floral Jem is gorgeous. Having something that cool around would definitely motivate me to pick it up and play more!
That maybe wasn't so clear, what I meant as a point of comparison was the threaded trem arm itself. Yikes! Even for the 5 min before you lose the spring it's pretty crummy. Makes me really appreciate the OFR, Edge, Shaller, Gotoh, etc. advances.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Yeah, well I like the Edge the best. Better than The four Floyd’s I have (2 OFR’s, 1 FRT 1000, and one Floyd Rose Special. Placement of the pop in arm just suits me so much better. The Edge Zero II is close behind it. And you are right @ruscio at least it’s not Fender thread in bars.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ha, thanks guys for the kind words. I never did understand a threaded tremolo bar. Either you want the bar stable and stiff, or you want it swinging around. I like the trem bar insert on the Jem because of the way the bar attaches to the tremolo, so that it is easy to switch back and forth (stiff / loose) to one's liking. Yep, been playing it every day and the muscle memory is beginning to kick in! One down, a million to go... 🤣

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I use the DiMarzio clip lock on all my guitars. At the moment, the blue one isn't available in Germany, so i ordered in GB.
Those are really cool straps. Unfortunately, the case for my 77P is a "perfect fit", meaning it leaves no room for a strap of any kind. That's why I got the D'Addario strap. It takes about five seconds to put it on the guitar. ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.