Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw this in musicians friend today. SO I went down to the old epiphone website and lo and behold its true. The goth les paul now comes with a floyd, as well as the goth explorer and flying v. Just no pictures of either one, but I also saw another monstrosity of a sg that had a floyd as well. Maybe gibsons testing the waters to add floyds to the real goth line??? I cant find a picture anywhere though

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
The "real" Gothic line is a thing of the past. I believe it's been discontinued due to poor sales and general lack of interest. Musician's Friend has been blowing out the V's & Explorers at $499.00 (they disappeared instantly though). The only Gothics we'll see from now on will be Epiphones- Gibson has the new "Voodoo" line, and the leftover Gothics have been turned into the "Faded" series :)

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
touche. Id still like to see gibson put a real floyd rose equipped les paul. Id love a nice flame maple paul with the custom diamond inlay on the headstock and a floyd (with a route big enough to fit an edge trem)

·
Registered
282 Posts
Gothics!

Those gothic guitars were great, looked pretty dull tho, i still have a gothic Explorer around somewhere, picked it up for £650 new about 2 years ago now. Its actually a pretty awesome axe, its not exactly versatile....but it does what it does well, if only it had 24 frets! I was thinking, that matt black paint is a great base for something more interesting, ghost flames perhaps... :twisted:

Rob 8O

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I want a model of gibson that they wont make. THe gothic epiphone is priced accordingly and worth the money ;). I see you were trying to trade your les paul a little while back ;). We all come around sooner or later..............................

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
sniperfrommars1 said:
touche. Id still like to see gibson put a real floyd rose equipped les paul. Id love a nice flame maple paul with the custom diamond inlay on the headstock and a floyd (with a route big enough to fit an edge trem)
I remember having this guitar book that had a picture of a Black Les Paul custom with an original Floyd 8O , too bad they were never produced (although i don't know if many people would actually like the Les Paul floyd idea...it's not really what LP's are all about :roll: )

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Guitars are tools. If they dont do what I want em to what good are they??? Ive got an old sg with a kahler trem on it. That things been played to death and I still use it regularly. Gibson suffers from too much purist bull. If not for all the hype and downtrodden same models every year they might have potential. Might

·
Registered
961 Posts
If you so crave a Les Paul with a Floyd then make one! It's been done in the past. I'd imagine doing this with a carved top and with the way the LP necks are tilted back could cause some MAJOR headaches. I'm certain the neck angle would have to be adjusted.

Gabe

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The cost would be astronomical. I dont have the routing tools to do it with. I don think the neck angle would have to be changed. Zakk wylde and evh both have les pauls with floyds and they were original stop tail peice equipped. One of my good friends has all the Kirk Hammet Series guitars. His Kh-3 (I think thats the number) Is much like a les paul junior with 24 frets and a original floyd. Surprising whammy tricks were really easy with it. That guitar weights a ton though. The trem would have to be radiused to match the les paul i assume. It would just be simpler to buy a low end guitar as opposed to spend the 2500 it would cost to have it done to a custom

·
Registered
436 Posts
There are those Gibson Locking Trems that held the ball end and sat on the existing bridge pins. There was some routing that was needed but not a ton. They had the regular nut then the locking tree which was screwed in above the nut. A pawnshop here in town has an 81 black Custom with this trem. Not doublelocking but still does the job pretty nice...

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thats Kahler tremolo manufactured by gibson ;). I have one on my 68 sg. No Kahler has "EVER" been a match for a real floyd. The tuning stability isnt enough, and the action is funny. Notes dont sustain right when you use the bar. but while sitting still it plays wonderfully. And you can palm mute without making everything go sharp

·
Registered
961 Posts
sniperfrommars1 said:
The cost would be astronomical.
No, I could make one (just in wood and inlay materials) for about $200. Not including hardware.

I don think the neck angle would have to be changed.
Les Paul necks are kicked back due to the height of the bridge. Unless you raised the wood higher at the bridge level, you would otherwise have to tilt the neck level.

Zakk wylde and evh both have les pauls with floyds and they were original stop tail peice equipped.
Maybe that's true with EVH, but not with Zakk. The other guy I know who had one was Brad Gillis. I think the last time Zakk used a floyd was back in the mid 80's. Show me a Zakk pic with a Les Paul Floyd equipped to prove me wrong.

It would just be simpler to buy a low end guitar as opposed to spend the 2500 it would cost to have it done to a custom
Like I said, if you have tools and the talent, make one yourself.

Gabe

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
http://jemsiteforum.com/sharefiles/index.php?action=viewimage&image=0820Black20Les20Paul.jpg

Zakk Wyldes floyd equipped guitar ;).

The cost would first include purchasing said guitar. Standards will run me about 1200 to 1500 depending on year and deals available. Parts for said floyd rose, 200$ dollars bare minimum. No bare bones mods, you gotta get EVERYTHING, studs, claw the works. Routing equipment (since I dont have it. Ridiculous amounts. Aside from all this A floyd rose was also made specifically for retrofitting onto guitars. Im not sure of the exact year but heres a picture of it as well ;) It has a mounting plate so you dont have to add wood or change the pitch of the neck gabe. And this is an ORIGINAL floyd not a knockoff. It sits on the guitar with no routing at all. It has about 30 mini springs underneath the plate (also raises the trem up to accompany the angle of the neck. Ive got one of the largest collections of guitar and guitar parts pictures on earth. its getting ridiculous and I really need to catalog these things by brands its impossible to go through all of em. Give me a few minutes and Ill have a pic of the back of the les paul floyd as well ;)

http://jemsiteforum.com/sharefiles/index.php?action=viewimage&image=LP_FLOYD.GIF

·
Registered
961 Posts
Oh, if you modify an existing Les Paul - yes - way too much in cost. I'm talking about building one from the ground up. Way cheaper!

As far as the Zakk guitar pic... I've never seen that one before! Where did you come across that picture? I went through Zakk's guitar collection and never saw an LP with any Floyds... Zakk's style doesn't support such a thing.

Gabe

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Its an old pic. A gift from a friend of mine. I collect guitar pictures. Notice the missing volume knobs. That was even before zakk used emgs!!. Interesting stuff huh. Its on a website somewhere I just cannot for the life of me remember the url, and I didnt save it in my favorites. ive had that pic for almost two years now :)) I must add your knowledge of guitar construction is quite good Gabe. Happy all hallows eve!!

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Man they qare gunna get sued over that one!! It eve has the open book headstock!!. Nice guitar even. But weve seen remakes that look like les pauls with floyds. I just remember the guitarist from jackyl used to have a floyd on a les paul as well ;)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts