Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I would like to fit a GE1996T 40mm block trem to use with a 430mm radiused neck (Super Wizard Prestige - 2009). Might anyone please know how many of Gotoh's SSM-02 shims I would need - and how to place in the exact order, into the Gotoh 1996, so as to match my neck's radius ? Thanks.

·
Registered
168 Posts
The GE1996T is radiused at 350mm, so there's not that much difference between that and the 430mm you're trying to match. It might seem a big difference on paper, but the radius is already pretty flat once you reach 300mm or more (which is about 12"). I've got this bridge on a guitar with a 400mm neck, and I didn't bother shimming for months after putting it together. It played fine, there was no real need for any shims to bring the 350mm closer to 400mm. You might consider trying it out and seeing whether it feels/plays alright as is.

Having said that, when I later had the guitar apart for some other work one day, I went ahead and added two shims (.2 mm each) on the E strings along with one shim on the A and B strings because I always have a pile of shims around. I haven't measured the resulting string radius, but it feels great and I think this is a very close match to 400mm. It's possible you'd want to use 3 shims on each of the E strings since you've got the 430mm neck. A total of 8 shims should safely cover the most you'd need.

Also, I don't think it's important to use the Gotoh branded shims. I've used generic "locking bridge saddle shims" on OFR and GE1996t, they fit fine. You might be able to find these more readily, and in packs of 12, rather than the Gotoh packs of 4.

In any case, this is really top-tier bridge, enjoy it!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I have a js100 guitar with a warmoth neck that has a 12" radius and a ge1996t. I bought the all parts brand Floyd shims because they come in a large set. I wound up using 2 shims under the D and G strings and one shim under the A and B strings to get it pretty close. The all parts shim give you more than enough shim to do what you need to do. I use them also for my edge and lo pro edge guitars since they have 12" radiused custom necks as well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts