Votes: 10 18.2%
  • Jem7vwh

Votes: 45 81.8%
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently found out that Wayne Charvel does a custom built Green Meanie replica guitar. (check out at www.wayneguitars.co.uk)

I'm trying to decide which to buy if i ever do. A Green Meanie, or a JEM7vwh.
They're both basically the same price and i equally like both of them, so which do you guys think looks better? :p

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
The green meanie had its charms but I'd go for a 7vwh. 24 frets, better trem, incredibly beautiful and wonderful to play. Man I really want one. I should have one before the end of summer though. Never played a Wayne so can't comment on it other than looks. But I've heard they're pretty heavy and the necks are fairly thick.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I'd sooner build a GM replica with Warmoth parts, than pay Wayne to build a copy. He had nothing to do with the original one, anyway. Grover Jackson built Vai's.

I'd go for the Jem.

·
Registered
9,952 Posts
whatshisname said:
I'd sooner build a GM replica with Warmoth parts, than pay Wayne to build a copy. He had nothing to do with the original one, anyway. Grover Jackson built Vai's.

I'd go for the Jem.
As I recall the Green Meanie was build for Grover Jackson and Vai borrowed it and then never returned it ;).

Regards

André

PS. Personally I wouldn't anything from Wayne Charvel, I've read to many bad reviews in last few months about him. :|

·
Registered
623 Posts
whatshisname said:
I agree. With a Warmoth, you'd get a real Strat headstock too, instead of those monstrosities that Wayne puts on his guitars.

·
Registered
9,952 Posts
moro said:
I agree. With a Warmoth, you'd get a real Strat headstock too, instead of those monstrosities that Wayne puts on his guitars.
Yeah his new headstock looks hideous :(.

Regards

André

·
Registered
882 Posts
fettouhi said:
As I recall the Green Meanie was build for Grover Jackson and Vai borrowed it and then never returned it ;).

Regards

André

PS. Personally I wouldn't anything from Wayne Charvel, I've read to many bad reviews in last few months about him. :|
It was a Jackson Charvel. At that point, Wayne had nothing to do with the company- even though he claims to have built many of the guitars from that era.

I've also heard a lot of bad things about Wayne.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Even if you wanted a guitar simply for the Vai connotations, have you seen him use HIS green meanie, let alone this knock off, in the last 10 years? Plus, the 'custom worn finish'?? Every knock and scrape on my guitars has a memory and a story behind it (violin swell...), sometimes not a very interesting story..my Kramer's never saved me on a cliff-face or anything, but its MY guitar. Granted, the JEM is a signature model, but its pristine, untouched, and probably of a higher quality, with much better customer support and services, and well, its a JEM!

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
If you're gonna go for the Wayne (I beg you don't) the Rock Legend with your custom touches would probably be cheaper and just as good.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Tom Gilroy said:
The green meanie had its charms but I'd go for a 7vwh. 24 frets, better trem, incredibly beautiful and wonderful to play. Man I really want one. I should have one before the end of summer though. Never played a Wayne so can't comment on it other than looks. But I've heard they're pretty heavy and the necks are fairly thick.
What he said!

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Globbits said:
Even if you wanted a guitar simply for the Vai connotations, have you seen him use HIS green meanie, let alone this knock off, in the last 10 years? Plus, the 'custom worn finish'?? Every knock and scrape on my guitars has a memory and a story behind it (violin swell...), sometimes not a very interesting story..my Kramer's never saved me on a cliff-face or anything, but its MY guitar. Granted, the JEM is a signature model, but its pristine, untouched, and probably of a higher quality, with much better customer support and services, and well, its a JEM!
I agree.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I recently got my Jem (777DY) and I've never been happier with any guitar I've owned in the past 20yrs.
I played an RG370 today that the shop owner had just got out of it's cardboard box and it was FANTASTIC!!! If that's how Ibanez ship their "budget" models, imagine the sheer quality of a new Jem.
Go for the Jem, I promice you won't look back.

Ben

·
Registered
589 Posts
Globbits said:
have you seen him use HIS green meanie, let alone this knock off, in the last 10 years?
it is broken since many many years....... difficult to play a broken piece of wood......

·
Registered
589 Posts
From Wayne guitars: "1 MEANIE GREEN IN 'AUTHENTIC' WORN FINISH : £1600.00"

More than $3000

lol lol lol lol rofl

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
Globbits said:
Saved you on a cliff face? Whats that about?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts