Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been trying to make this for the longest time.

I bought this about eight months ago. The original had a nasty crack so I had to replace the guitar. Since then, I haven't had time to work with school, work, and uncooperative weather.

I finally had time. I only have to do some touch up and wet sand.

I used Duplicolor Cayman Green automotive spraypaint.

Hopefully, I can get it done soon.

PS: I lied. I still need to apply the headstock decal, clear coat, apply shielding paper, install new pickups (Evo, Chopper, and PAF Pro neck), put all the hardware back on, and do a setup. ;)

·
Registered
515 Posts
did you paint right over the Ibanez logo?

if you did you could peel it off and have the logo already there! in whatever colour it was before it was stuck on. Saving you buying a new one.

·
Registered
679 Posts
did you paint right over the Ibanez logo?

if you did you could peel it off and have the logo already there! in whatever colour it was before it was stuck on. Saving you buying a new one.
Please tell how to do this in the best way? I'd imagine that it wouldn't be as simple as just grabbing it and pulling it off.

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm actually keeping the white pearl pickguard. I want to keep that RX / Strat look.
I won a white Jem headstock logo on **** a while back. I used an exacto to cut the "JE" off, leaving just M. It might sound vain, but it's also m girlfriend's first initial.
Hopefully it goes on okay. LOL! ;)

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks!
Did the headstock yesterday. The line between the different pieces of the neck became slightly apparent after wetsanding. It's not as good as I'd like but it's a first attempt. I need to get a house with a garage. LOL!

The paint kind of switches between green and a sea blue depending on the light. Here's the headstock without the flash.

Now to finish the body. :p

·
Registered
10 Posts
I really like this guitar, great paint choice. I also like the pearl white pickguard, I think it looks great with the maple neck.

I can't wait to see the finished product. :)

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I forgot about this what with NAMM and other recent events.
I finished my 350. The finish on the body isn't great. You can see some flaws in real-life that don't show up on these pictures. LOL! I'm happy overall, though. It's definitely a player!
The one odd thing is that, to me, this feels the closest to a Fender Strat than any of my RG's. I don't know if it's just in my head or if it's the thicker maple neck. It still needs tweaking on the setup side but the tough part is done.
The Evo and the PAF Pro in the neck sound very familiar to those here but the Cruiser neck pickup in the middle is NICE!
When I started, I had an idea of how this guitar should SOUND as well as look; like a rock guitar with southwest flavoring, if that makes sense. The sound came out exactly as a I wanted. ;)

Thanks for all the kind words!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts