Ibanez JEM Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
His blue ESP guitar is a true Howe icon guitar. Congrats!

I always loved his white Fender HM on the cover of Introspection. Heard he sold that one 9 years ago at Ebay. A shame i missed that opportunity, as i would love to own a Howe guitar.
I always wanted to check out one of those HM Strats. I never got the opportunity. It seems like they didn't really make them that long.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I always wanted to check out one of those HM Strats. I never got the opportunity. It seems like they didn't really make them that long.
The HM models are fantastic. I got mine somewhere in the early 90's. Grunge was all the rage, so the bright pink models didn't sell too well. I got for $200,- which was ridiculous cheap. Awesome guitar and i still play it sometimes.

If you like a strat sound and the modern rock sounds too, you can't go wrong. A bit more stratty than a Jem. Plays really easy too. These guitars will only go up in value once people realise that there are not many made.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Swamp ash body, maple top AND neck-fretboard....mmmmmh...a very bright guitar?? From the videos the tone is really warm!
Yeah I noted that too, kind of strange. But the pickups he's using (at least the DiMarzio's) are quite dark ones, perhaps that's where he gets the warm sound from - plugged into an amp with the right eq setting, of course. :)

·
Registered
172 Posts
"perhaps that's where he gets the warm sound from - plugged into an amp with the right eq setting, of course."

you´re correct. That´s what he does today.

Both of you are correct also. This guitar is quite bright but the pickups are warm. Since Greg is moving his tone preferences more to a power section of amps, he change his tone including new preamp EQ and gain sets also.

When he played with me he said my Marshall JCM2000 was so bright that he decides to use my CAA PT-100.

And he was correct. When we start the JAM, besides his magic playbility and musical wizard mind, his tone was far away best of mine. And I was using the same pickup in the bridge (DiMarzio GH-5). The JCM2000 was too bright when compared with the PT-100.

·
Registered
48 Posts
If I may ask:
Greg just sold you the guitar because you asked nicely or was there some "Master-Plan" with long email conversations and meeting Greg personally (at some Master Class or a Guitar Camp ???)

Sounds like a very cool story ...

21 - 33 of 33 Posts