Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel like I've been posting a lot, so sorry if I'm irritating the hell out of you. One thing I've been interested in is the "guilty pleasures" of Jemsite patrons (there should be a lot because a lot of you are rather OLD ;) just kidding )

Wether it be the music of a singer who screams so horrifically that it sounds like they're choking up their vocal cords, or it's one of those "bad asian music video" videos on YouT*be, share it here! I feel like while were all rock stars in our minds we all have a certain humility to some rather embarrasing music to listen to publicly. And...
STATE THE REASON ITS EMBARRASING.

I have two off the top of my head-
1) Evanescence- sorry, but I love amy lee (please don't think less of me LOL). What straight 16 year old guitar player listens to "my immortal" I'm public? Probably not many. I like the weirdness of the vocals, the heaviness of the guitars, and the lyrics have some pretty deep meanings.

2) Asking Alexandria- this is one if those bands you either love or hate. I feel like it's wierd because I'm a guitar player who likes rather hard and solo driven songs, but I can listen to the same triplets on the low C as a British singer screams "oh my god" for a billion measures. I rather like songs with screaming in them. A lot of people think it's not singing, but it's more of an expression of anger. Some people think it's scary, I embarrasingly enough find it almost comforting to listen to when I'm angry or just in the mood for something obnoxiously heavy. I'm not what the kids call "scene" so I dress normally ;)

·
Super Moderator
7,288 Posts
My guilty pleasure is djent. Why? Because I'm nearly 40!!!!

For the first time in my life, my new guitar heroes are younger than I am!!!

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Not embarrassing per se because they were great songwriters but Hall and Oates. Listening back now, the drums and keyboards were SOOOOOO cheesy but the songs were addicting.

Darryl Hall's newer Album "Laughing Down Crying" has been on constant rotation lately.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Smooth jazz! Or "uptown jazz" as you might call it. Love the stuff... even though most of it has the same beat and sound. I just love that smooth high gain greasy solo guitar!

Old Charlie Daniels band from back in the mid-70's... those guys were monster musicians. The best song that a metal band has not covered is "Caballo Diablo" from CDB in 1974. Someday I'll make a million dollars covering it like A7X should...:mrgreen:

And yes, hair bands from the 80's that dressed and looked like girls... loved that style of music despite their industry driven feminine appearance.

(BTW - Hall and Oates, "Sarah Smile" is one of my all time favorites)

Way too many guilty pleasures to admit to... I gotta stop now.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
For me it's the oddball hair metal bands like Faster Pu$$ycat, Firehouse, Tracii Guns, Ratt, etc.
me too...80's hair metal had some great guitar playing...like XYZ, White Lion etc....lots of bad songs but there were lots of really good songs in in that era too...

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
KISS - it's why I got interested in rock and roll. Like many KISS fans of the '70s I missed out on a lot of really great music because I had such a single focus on them and other hard rock. It's only later I discovered equally great stuff in punk, pop, disco, country, jazz, etc. But to me back then it was all about Frehley and Stanley, Nugent, AC/DC, Skynard, Led Zep and other high volume lead guitar driven acts. It's only later that I focused on the whole song in general. When I did that I rediscovered KISS and realized their songs are what I liked more than lead guitar solos. KISS unplugged for MTV was a great moment.

Many of my friends never liked them, and some even hated them, but dug many of the bands and artists who claimed them as an influence from Anthrax to Garth Brooks.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Chris DeGarmo and Michael Wilton from Queensryche. I saw Queensryche in concert opening for KISS in the mid 80's, and while at first amazed at Geoff's voice in that album, I was even more impressed later with the guitars in Operation Mindcrime and Empire.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Another one of mine is Amorphis, and Of Mice And Men. Why?

Not sure. It's just something people in public will most likely scoff at.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
My guilty pleasure is djent. Why? Because I'm nearly 40!!!!

For the first time in my life, my new guitar heroes are younger than I am!!!
That's good stuff to listen to since it's quite new and different than '80s metal or '90s grunge. I don't like most djent singing but guitar and tunings are awesome.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Jason Aldean - I'm an 80's metal fan, but there's something about the songs that grab me. I learned a whole bunch of them. I love how they use simple pentaonic scales and 4 chords.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
I like some pop and rap. Not a lot of either but there are certain songs that i absolutely love.

This is one of the catchiest to me

katy perry is hot, and i like a lot of her stuff. I like some keith urban, and George Straight. I think there is a least one song every genre of music that you will like even if your aren't a fan.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I like some mainstream pop, I also like eminem. Those might only be guilty pleasures for the guitar world since it's mainstream.

I know, I'm lame

No no wait!!! I can't tell you how many laughs I've had with friends because of this. Just wait until the girl starts singing. Actually I post this in the "you'll laugh" thread too. This is a pleasure to laugh at and not much more

·
Registered
386 Posts
For me there are a list of them:

Dragon Force - the singing is almost hymn like... terrible, but Herman Li's speed makes up for it.
Alestorm - Scottish Pirate Metal Band, yes pirate metal, who would have thought it, there's something really catchy about sea shanty like songs with the odd aharrrrr thrown in sung over a metal background.
Korpiklaani - again something weird and attractive about metal mixed with folk music.

The whole Djent thing is a train which left me at the station. All my local guitar friends jumped into it and it has become frustrating to play with them, because 5 minutes into something cool they break out the dropped d guitar and palm mute the **** out of everything. I feel like the last caveman "Laobi, Ugg make really cool thing to sleep in, he call it H-o-u-s-e, no more cave" "no, I sleep in dark wet hard place, maybe bear eat me"

1 - 20 of 45 Posts