Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what do you think about this stores?
compared to the prices, quantity of guitars, the way the people at the store treat you and all that stuff, that we have in mexico gc is like heaven
but what are your opninions?
in july im going to las vegas, so if you know any better stores or with better prices let me know because I´m buyin massive amounts of gear lol

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
There is NOTHING worse than guitar center. Seriously I'd rather make out with an old lady than go to guitar center and shop there. It's a cancer on the face of the entire world of musicians. If i had the means monetarily I'd open up a shop with no other intention than making sure that guitar center files for chapter 11. I can easily name 5-6 experiences there off the top of my head to support my point that GC = tumor (and some stories about sam ash and daddys as well). If you want em, just ask.

Sam Ash and Daddys are really no better (well, only a little). All of those stores with commissioned sales people are to be avoided like the plague. Anything there can be had online for much cheaper, and with a lot more detailed info on the product than the clueless berklee dropouts that work there can provide.

NOTE: not all people who work in these stores are morons. I put this note here to avoid pissing off a person on jemsite who might work there and be like "hey im not a moron!". There are some good folk working there but they are FEW and FAR between.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is NOTHING worse than guitar center. Seriously I'd rather make out with an old lady than go to guitar center and shop there. It's a cancer on the face of the entire world of musicians. If i had the means monetarily I'd open up a shop with no other intention than making sure that guitar center files for chapter 11. I can easily name 5-6 experiences there off the top of my head to support my point that GC = tumor (and some stories about sam ash and daddys as well). If you want em, just ask.

Sam Ash and Daddys are really no better (well, only a little). All of those stores with commissioned sales people are to be avoided like the plague. Anything there can be had online for much cheaper, and with a lot more detailed info on the product than the clueless berklee dropouts that work there can provide.

NOTE: not all people who work in these stores are morons. I put this note here to avoid pissing off a person on jemsite who might work there and be like "hey im not a moron!". There are some good folk working there but they are FEW and FAR between.
so what are some bette stores to shop at? also if you could tell me your bad experiences I´d appreciate it

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
so what are some bette stores to shop at? also if you could tell me your bad experiences I´d appreciate it
Experience 1: Guitar Center

I walk in, hoping to check out the Jackson DK2M (it was just released at the time). I grab one off the wall. It's so out of tune that I think someone must have literally taken it off the wall, opened the locking nut, grabbed all the tuners at the same time and yanked them in opposite directions as hard as they could at random intervals. I think they damn near invented a new tuning.

Anyway, I manage to get it back in tune. I then approach a "guitars manager" and ask him what high gain amps they have in stock. He names a few mesas, some peaveys, I finally settle on this nice Soldano cuz that's the kind of tone I like. I grab a stool, and sit down. I literally played 3 power chords and he was right behind me with "oh man, that guitar sounds so awesome! oh dude, you gonna be takin' that bad boy home today? You should totally pick it up, you f'in slay on that thing!" Enough said, I think.

Experience 2: Daddys

1). There was the time I called the store and the manager of the store couldnt tell me if the guitar he was holding IN HIS HANDS was a bolt on or a neck thru (it was one of those jackson soloists that there wasnt too much info about online).

2). I once put a down payment on a guitar they had, to send it over from one store to one near me so I can try it and buy it. I called a week later asking where my guitar is, and they told me that they sold it. So, the commissioned sales ahole over at the store sold it to someone, TOTALLY ignoring my down payment because he wanted the commission for himself. That aside, the lady at my store handling the whole fiasco was very sweet and polite about it and made sure to point out what a dick he was and that she would report him to the administration.

And so on and so on. I dont recommend shopping at any stores nowadays really. There arent many good ones. There are some cool mom and pop shops, I've been to mattsmusic and I really dig their environment and knowledge about the instruments they're selling.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
And so on and so on. I dont recommend shopping at any stores nowadays really. There arent many good ones. There are some cool mom and pop shops, I've been to mattsmusic and I really dig their environment and knowledge about the instruments they're selling.
Even here in customerserviceland I hate going to our equivalent of GC. Although, they do always take the guitar and tune it with a tuner and they also lock up the guitars so you have to ask for assistance to play a guitar. That sucks when everyones busy and you have to wait around, but it's great when the guitars are still in new condition. I still hate all the pressure from sales reps and so on.

The problem is that mom and pop stores don't have great selections. I love the guys at this place here in Nagoya called Real Standard. They have some cool stuff. They have some nice Schecters Japanese Custom superstrats not the Diamond series and great Fenders and a few high end fender copies called Van Zandt. But all of these are high dollar and to be honest all are Strats or teles. So there isn't much choice. But as far as service and tech goes I won't go anywhere else. They also have a great practice studio with great equipment.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Even here in customerserviceland I hate going to our equivalent of GC. Although, they do always take the guitar and tune it with a tuner and they also lock up the guitars so you have to ask for assistance to play a guitar. That sucks when everyones busy and you have to wait around, but it's great when the guitars are still in new condition. I still hate all the pressure from sales reps and so on.

The problem is that mom and pop stores don't have great selections. I love the guys at this place here in Nagoya called Real Standard. They have some cool stuff. They have some nice Schecters Japanese Custom superstrats not the Diamond series and great Fenders and a few high end fender copies called Van Zandt. But all of these are high dollar and to be honest all are Strats or teles. So there isn't much choice. But as far as service and tech goes I won't go anywhere else. They also have a great practice studio with great equipment.
Exactly dude. I would rather have to wait 5-10 mins to try out a guitar and get it in mint-y condition and in tune and setup than be able to just pull it off the wall and have it be totally f'd up. And the selection thing is true as well, that's why i shop at the store with the biggest selection in the world - the internet :). In reality though as most people know, I prefer to deal with a SINGLE person when im talkin' bout buying guitars, so I work with a local luthier to build what I want/need. He's been a buddy of mine for over a year now, gives me great deals because I bring him a bunch of business (literally 40-50% of what he charges other people for similar stuff), does free setup work for me when I need it, and stands behind his work 100%. When he missed a deadline we set to finish my 2nd custom guitar, he freaking drove it up to where I live for me the following week. That's about a 250 mile + trip each way. Compare that to places like Guitar Center who won't even apologize when a guitar they said was gonna take a week to come in takes 8. And those are the reasons why he gets all my money and guitar center gets none (although I once had to emergency-buy strings there...couldnt help the situation).

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I've said in various threads, but the GC by me in Moosic PA is wonderful. They know me by name, in all the departments. I've purchased amps-pedalboards-drum hardware-keyboard parts-guitars...I just purchased a Parkwood there and enjoyed fantastic service...:mrgreen:

The GC in NJ blew dog poop it's true, but I still bought stuff from there...Got my Jem 20 from the East Brunswick store (the address was 666 Rt 18 by the way...right up my alley :))

The GC here is just a wonderful mix of salesguys happy to have a GC in this area finally, so they don't take it for granted. Again because it's still fairly new you get that close knit mom and pop feel but with a superstore mentality (that's a positive by the way) :D

The GC has energized a pretty good scene out here and excited it enough to get even better...:D

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I've said in various threads, but the GC by me in Moosic PA is wonderful. They know me by name, in all the departments. I've purchased amps-pedalboards-drum hardware-keyboard parts-guitars...I just purchased a Parkwood there and enjoyed fantastic service...:mrgreen:

The GC in NJ blew dog poop it's true, but I still bought stuff from there...Got my Jem 20 from the East Brunswick store (the address was 666 Rt 18 by the way...right up my alley :))

The GC here is just a wonderful mix of salesguys happy to have a GC in this area finally, so they don't take it for granted. Again because it's still fairly new you get that close knit mom and pop feel but with a superstore mentality (that's a positive by the way) :D

The GC has energized a pretty good scene out here and excited it enough to get even better...:D
Count yourself lucky dude. I've been to over 12 of them. Everyone has sucked about equally.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
any of you guys know everything about guitar center las vegas?
keep posting your thoughts!

·
Registered
675 Posts
I'd like to add some more ammo to Shredders rant. GC suck for what reasons....?

1. I go in to buy an S-470 (back in 03' when the ZR first came out). So the saleman is sayin "This ZR will NEVER go out of tune...this is the wave of the future....you gotta pick this up man.." So after hearing his rant about the tuning stability, I drop coin for it...as well as a GT-6. I get home with my new toys...Can't keep the thing in tune at all! I look a bit closer and the trem studs aren't in alignment with one another...weird..but true...So I call and tell them what's going on....He says, "Well we have another one identical to it at our other store. The other store being another 45 min away. I'm like cool, I'll bring the guitar back in. So that's what I do, bring it in, they look it over and agree that mine should be swapped for another. So then he says.....Ok, so you know where the other store is located? I'm like...yes but, isn't someone going to bring it up from the other store for me?? He just says, "well we really didn't bank on that.." I just replied, "yeah but you sure did bank my $800 plus I just layed down here. I yanked the receipt out of his hand and drove down to pick up my S.

2. Just this past weekend, wife and kids are gone visiting relatives, so I plan some time to head down to GC to pick up some strings and maybe a new pickup. Plus it's nice to browse a bit, check out the new gear. I get to the gear counter and ask the kid "I need two packs of 7-string, strings. One set will be .09's, the other .10's. He turns to the guy working next to him and asks.....Do we have any 7-string strings?" Guys like, yeah right there. The kids pulls ONE pack off the wall and tosses in my general direction. "Is that all you need?" I'm like, no, I need two sets, one in .09's, the other in .10's, Not these .11's...."Oh, sorry dude, that's all we have" he says.......ON top of that...not one frigin Dimarzio pickup did I see...not one...All EMG, Gibson. That place needs to burn!!!! All they do is cater to the next big fad. Cripes! It's GUITAR CENTER...The name denotes all things GUITAR!!! Flippin morons.......(not all, just most). The best place to shop for all things guitar is right here online!

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I think too many guys expect way too much from GC, so that when you get there it can only be horrible. The GC in NJ was bad, but it was always packed with 75-100 customers at all times, and only like 4 sales guys. It was high volume, plus high pressured employees to perform and sell their @sses off. If you go in thinking these guys know everything there is to know you're bound to feel screwed...chances are they're just some musicians working for the weekend, and trying to get by :D

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I think too many guys expect way too much from GC, so that when you get there it can only be horrible. The GC in NJ was bad, but it was always packed with 75-100 customers at all times, and only like 4 sales guys. It was high volume, plus high pressured employees to perform and sell their @sses off. If you go in thinking these guys know everything there is to know you're bound to feel screwed...chances are they're just some musicians working for the weekend, and trying to get by :D
I certainly dont expect that from guitar center. I expect them to be moderately knowledgeable about the gear, to maintain the gear in relatively decent working order, and to give me more than 3 power chords to try an instrument before breathing down my neck and trying to pressure me into a sale. Every single one I've walked into, from the moment i stepped in I could tell that to them I was a giant dollar sign. I know they dont make a lot of money and commission is important to them, but I would be MUCH more willing to drop big bucks with a salesperson there if they treated people like valued customers and not like some person annoying them.

·
Registered
735 Posts
ON top of that...not one frigin Dimarzio pickup did I see...not one...All EMG, Gibson. That place needs to burn!!!! All they do is cater to the next big fad. Cripes! It's GUITAR CENTER...The name denotes all things GUITAR!!! Flippin morons.......(not all, just most). The best place to shop for all things guitar is right here online!
Kind of afraid to admit it, but I used to work at a GC back in the day. I can tell you that the locations used to have some autonomy in what was ordered... not much, but some. Being a bit of a pickup nerd, I always special ordered a bunch of DiMarzio, Duncans, etc. to have on hand. I had a few guys who I worked with as well who would special order some pretty obscure stuff, often for specific customers. I would agree that if you get someone who knows their stuff they can really set you up. But I will also admit that it can be very hard to find those people in most GC's I've been in. The other problem is turnover- most of the people you find in GC who are really competent are on their way somewhere else...

Also, now that I live in the middle of nowhere I kind of miss being able to go to ANY larger guitar store, no matter what it is!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Strangely it doesn't seem as bad here. In fact the people in Merchant City Music (Glasgow) are always very down to earth. Great service as well.

I don't know much about Soundcontrol or Guitar Guitar though. I only go there from time to time. They seem to be more of the "store chain" type

·
Registered
206 Posts
It just depends on the sales people. Hands down the place I was treated the worst was Chuck Levin's Washington Place Music, which is supposed to have a stellar reputation.

All I wanted to do was buy the RG-550XX they had. Didn't even want to try it, just wanted to hand them the money and leave (initially I planned on trying it, but by the time I got there I felt a little sick, so I just wanted to get it and leave). It took me 15 minutes to get someone to even talk to me, and I wasn't standing around waiting for someone to approach me, I did approach a couple people and ask for help. Finally, someone started helping me, I was quoted $1000. He went back for about 30 seconds and told me they didn't have it (I e-mailed them later and they said they did, because I was pretty sure he didn't check). I saw one salesperson say to another customer that one company never made a certain size amp ever, they didn't offer it while standing in front of it (it was a specific model, so there was no mistaking that it was the exact amp, the customer even pointed out that was the right amp, and he just left, didn't even try to buy it).

The selection wasn't even that good, unless you were looking for LTD's otherwise it was about the same as most places. There were a few boutique things, which was nice, but when I asked to try a Caparison (my second choice at the time since I figured I wasn't going to be able to find an RG-550XX), they wouldn't let me (I had enough at that point to buy one out right, I wasn't looking to fiddle with it for an hour, I just wanted to see if I liked how the neck felt). Finally, I just left.

Went to Sam Ash a week later, got an RG-550XX for $720, brand new. The only thing was they had changed it to 8's gauge strings and put it in a drop tuning, but they didn't adjust it, so it was almost perfect once I put 9's on it. Took me about 20 minutes in all, and that was because the guy helping me was helping a couple other people, too.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I live in East Tennesse where all anyone seels seems to be gibsons and fenders. Its hard to find a quality ibanez down here. I went to a jazz master class at the University of Tennesse. I stopped at a guitar center there just to see what i could find. I was told that all the new prestige S guitars were made in Japan even though all you have to do is look on the back to see that they are MIK. They had an old Radius and when i asked them about it they said it was an S.

Three weeks later i toured the University of Belmont in Nashville. I went to numerous stores down there finding nothing but strats and les pauls. After going to 9 stores i decided to just try the guitar center there. Nashville stepped it up a bit the guy that was helping me was semi retarted. He told me most Ss were neck through and he texted on his phone most of the time. Once i got away from him another guy came to help me out. He new everything about everything music. He owned several Jems himself and could answere every question i had. I bought a red JS100 from him and i love the guitar. It has served me well. I will go back to the guitar center in Nashvilee.

That being said i still dont really like guitar center in general. Locally owned stores are the way to go IMO.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
2 of them here in Houston and they both are crap.

There was a Chibanez hanging on the wall in one of them. I asked the salesman what it was. He then started telling me it was a Korean Jem, and the color purple was a limited run. This thing was a piece of SH**.

I told him it was a knockoff and he shouldn't even be selling it.
At this point he walked off.

I wonder how many kids he was trying to sell this too, that did not know better.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I think the second guy you talked to Dante is my husband. I think he's the only one there with Jems. Big bald dude with a beard who lives, eats, sleeps, and breaths music (Chris). I have a good idea who the first guy would have been too. LOL...

Sad thing is that MOST people don't know jack about Ibanez. Those who do are usually fanatics who know everything about them, but don't know jack about Gibsons or Fenders or acoustics. Honestly, it is really hard to expect that everyone at every store is gonna know darn near everything there is to know about every model from every brand they have hanging on the walls and risers. Unless you are in an area with a really deep metal scene, it is hard to find anyone who knows anything about "the pointy guitars". So when you go in to a store... if that is what you are interested in... just step up and ask for who the person is who is the most knowledgeable about the particular guitar brand you are interested in. In the bigger GC stores most of the sales people kinda specialize in something that they know a lot about... bass, acoustics, Fender, Gibson, or "Other Guitars".

Anyway, I know that we are majorly lucky to have such an awesome GC here in Nashville. When we go back to my home town, we make a point to go to every music store around. Most of them are total dives with about 15 guitars in the whole place! Cheapo Indonesian ripoff, off brand guitars at that! But there was one store last time that had a whole lot of these cheapo crap guitars and when I walked by the sales guy told me to make sure I didn't touch anything! I was like WTF! Dude, I work on guitars that cost more than all of your stock combined! Just because I'm a chick doesn't mean I don't know how to handle an axe, ya bastard. It was quite infuriating. But then the next shop had a ton of really nice acoustics and those folks were amazingly cool. The GC there was total crap though. The guys working there didn't care, the guitars were REALLY dirty, there were tons of holes up on the wall, and there was a really tops PRS that was brand new but had a big chunk taken out of the headstock. There's just no excuse for that. Their selection was terrible and we just left pretty quick.

That being said, the GC we went to outside of Charlotte was pretty nice. We had a good experience there and there was another store chain we went to in Savannah and Augusta that was really nice but I don't recall the name.

All in all, you never know what you are gonna get. Just go in and browse. If you get a bad vibe there, you should know that you can always order the same thing online instead of buying in the store. If the store folks are nice and helpful, then spend your money their and let them take care of you. If someone is rude or hateful to me in a store or restaraunt, I just don't go there for about 2-3 years. No need to take it personal or anything... some people just suck.

If you are in Vegas you can always check out the big evil store there... Ed Roman. WAY overpriced, and I've heard they are really rude and hateful to anyone who isn't planning on spending thousands the moment they walk in the door. But hell... I'd go in just to see all the amazing stuff they have. I'd never buy anything from them though unless I had a really great experience... but even then, I'd double check the prices online and try to haggle with them on it.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts