Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Almost every cleaner on amazon is like $10-20 for a miserable amount of product.

They are either both cleaner and polish sometimes even 3 in 1 product to give the illusion that you be getting more bang for your buck

For example, this one is $10 for a miserable 4oz. You would run out quickly. How much wax could really be there lol

https://www.amazon.com/Music-MN103-Guitar-Cleaner-Polish/dp/B003TLSN74/

Wouldn't cleaning with a damp microfiber towel and then applying carnauba wax product for cars, achieve the same result?

I mean seriously if is a gloss poly finish, you don't really need to do much. The thing is not exposed to the sun.

Why do people use these cleaners with polish, yeah it will make it shiny and maybe remove some scratches, but it's also removing the finish overtime, same as a car's paint, everytime you polish, you're taking off clearcoat. Only way to remove scratches off something is to remove the finish.

You can just buy some good carnauba wax for your car and use some of that for your guitar, the same thing as those "guitar" versions, similar price and you get ten times more product.

Clean the finish with damp towel, you don't need a dedicated guitar cleaner, is a gimmick to empty your pockets and you don't need to be polishing the finish all the time either.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I have a microfiber cloth that I wipe the guitar down with regularly. Have never needed cleaner or polish of any kind.

For rosewood fretboards the same bottle of tung oil is still going strong for the last 10 years.

And my one guitar that isn't a gloss finish but is natural/unvarnished I finished with Crimson Guitars finishing oil which is great. £8. Half the bottle cured it and I give it a quick top up annually from the left overs. That £8 Will last a decade at this rate.

·
Registered
667 Posts
For cleaning the body I use a microfiber rag and turtle wax car detailer spray that you can get from an auto parts store or wal mart. One bottle detailer lasts a very long time because you don't need much. For the fretboard I use fingerboard oil for treatment or lemon oil. A pack of rags and the detailer run about $10.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts