Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anything you  can use to help buff out your finish when the paint is oxidized to help restore the original fionish? I have a Tele that was originally white but now is off white. like a vanilla  color? Thanks!!

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
It's not oxidization that causes finishes to yellow over time. Yellowing is caused by ultraviolet rays breaking down the lacquer/urethane clearcoat. It's generally not a surface discolouration that can be buffed out... the clearcoat is usually yellowed all the way through.

I'm not sure if it can be corrected by chemically treating the paint or by buffing it out. My guess is not likely.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Darrens right. The only thing you could do is have it refinished if you don't like it. I have always liked the natural aging of finishes. Old LPs look great with a yellow binding. Old Tele's look killer after 20+ years. I say leave it as it is.

Dave

·
Registered
961 Posts
I think the aged look is great and really brings out the uniqueness in a guitar.  I specifically exposed my 57 LP Black Beauty (Re-issue of course!) to the sun every once and a while to help 'yellow' the binding.  Wow does that thing look great now!

I recommend leaving it how it is.

Gabe

·
Registered
324 Posts
It is my understanding that a VWH will NOT yellow with age due to the clear used.

Is this true. If so, what a bummer!!!

Dave

·
Registered
961 Posts
Yes, I think this is true.  However, I've seen some 1st production VHW's that did yellow - slightly.  Perhaps they used a different paint/clearcoat back then?

Gabe

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay I'll leave it alone *LOL* Anyway the person who owned it before didn't take care of it. I just wanted to clean the body up the best I could.

One more question? The finish in alot of places is chipped all the way down to the bare wood. On my Peavey Wolfgang they say endust is the best way to clean the non finished neck. Is that ok for the body as well? Thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts