Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started off very much a blues guy. Very into the SRV austin blues rock sound. I of course had a sunburst strat, and loved it. I'd seen ibanez before but never really paid any attention to them. Well, one day I met this guitar player in school, and we decided to get together and play. Well, the guitar that popped my ibanez cherry was an rg pr1, the 'texas prestige' in natural. Man, that guitar was soo nice. Just, everything about it was great...definately made my strat look like nothing. It sounded, played, looked, everything, great. From that moment on I was sold on ibanez. I've owned a prestige, a 3120 (with a fabulous flame top, just about a AAAAA, it was almost a quilt/flame look) and I loved that guitar! I a/b'd it to Roman's PR1, and although they were both mahogany, his was much heavier(which I don't mind at all).

I know there's only 12 of the each, but I'll get a PR1!! I don't know what it is, I could get an rg-4/9670 or something else but that PR1 will always be a desire! What do those go for?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Most of the 5xx+ RG's are going to be surprisingly similar to something like the Texas PR1. Yes, there are different woods, pickups, etc, but in sheer feel, I've found that the most expensive RG/J-custom is about the same as any 550/570 you can pluck off a rack anywhere if the setups are comparable. I've found that the JC's are a little different from the RG's because a few of them which I've played have significantly thicker necks than the Wizard I.

I played a PR-3 (that's the red one) a couple of years ago owned by a guy who attended Jemfest. I was more taken in by the beauty of the quilting than I was by the feel of the guitar; it felt identical to my RG770DX.

Which, BTW... if I had to pick a guitar that hooked me on Ibanez, it would be my RG770DX in Laser Blue, purchsed new by me in 1992.

-R

·
Registered
293 Posts
I watched a Video as a kid (I'm sixteen now, OH SO BIG) a few years ago, and it was named something like "John Petrucci plays 7-string Ibanez", and it sounded so cool, because:

-It was SEVEN strings! ooooh my GOD!

-The name Ibanez sounded really cool and exotic, Actually a bit turkish :p I don't really know why, but i think it's because the name sounds like a Liberian habitant, said in swedish, which would be "Libanes" (just take away that "L", and change that "S")

-Petrucci was so kickass, so i though you would become like that if you had a monster Ibanez guitar, which was soooooo cool. I really thought it would make a really brutal difference how technically good you are (after all, that was the only thing that counted; how fast you are)

That's how i bought my first Ibanez, an RG170, at the age of thirteen, or fourteen, don't really remember. Geeh, I'm at the brink of turning 17 (OH MY GOD THAT'S SO OLD)

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
rgt42fmdr. i saw it and knew it was time to get back into fast melodic guitaring.

thanks to the impression it made, i subsequently sold most of my other guitars and replaced them with ibanez. it's now the most humble of my collection.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
It was in 1990, and it was a used '88 Radius - jewel blue w/2 humbuckers. Yummy. Shortly after that I got a used sabre with the blue (not teal) flame top. Also yummy.

Wish I had those back. Sold the radius to a pal because he played it at gigs anyway. Later it was stolen from him. Sold the sabre...dunno why. Purtiest axe ever. If i see that color again, I might jump. Too bad they never made that color with the H-S-H and AANJ.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
my buddy's old ex120. 2 humbucker POS plywood, 22 fret, big neck, tz trem, in nasty white. i had to have it. it was alot different than the squier 2 strat i was playing on loan at the time. i also had a roadstar 2, but that didn't make me like ibanez... i have seen that guitar since, and have even modded the piss out of it, but back 10 years ago...in the time of strats and jaguars(when grunge was king), it was metal. i had to have one of those cool guitars with the pointy heads...ibanez preferably! now i have gone through well over 30 different ibanez's and they are still my babies.

rich

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Jackson used to be my favourite guitars, that is until I got a jem ;)
Now I'm down to only 1 jackson and have 8 Ibanez!

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Went to this chick's house who had these little baby hangin' around un-played...

I gave it a test ride and I was in love forever. Never felt so comfortable on anything other than an Ibanez. They really are kick ass guitars!

·
Registered
257 Posts
it was my second guitar...an ibanez rg520qs. i got it in the 5th grade and i'm in 11th now and i still love it. ever since then i've been hooked. i now have the rg520, an artcore, bass, acoustic, and a uv777bk! i love all my guitars. i won't play anything else.

·
Registered
41 Posts
What sold me initially many years ago was the body shape: really sharp looking :) Later Ibanez fueled it with something like RG-ART, JPM, vine inlay.

Alex

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
My first Ibanez was a 1994 RG 450 DX WH that I bought back in 1996. 6 years after I started playing guitar. I was really hooked when I bought my first 7620 in 1998 though. :D

1 - 20 of 146 Posts