Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2,879 Posts
I was thinking about this last night... and wondering how you could do it. If you knew the resistance of the pot at the "sweet spot" where it cleans up the way you like, you could add a resistor of that value between the grounded leg and ground. So when you rolled it all the way down it would not completely shunt the signal to ground. If you did want the ability to shut the volume all the way off you could use a push/pull pot to kill the volume. Just brainstorming here... but its a thought.

· Registered
2,879 Posts
You guys have good ideas. The detent would be analogous to a "rumble strip" on the highway. It tells you, "past this point there is no more road." The detent would tell you, "past this point there is no more sound." Out of all the senses, "feeling" that point on the guitar's volume control would be the most reliable way of doing this.
Hmmm... I know what you mean, but you would have to custom build a pot like that... Not that it couldn't be done though! A recessed spring loaded ball bearing under the volume knob and small hole drilled in a pickguard (for the detent) would do the trick, if a person wanted to experiment with the idea. You would just have to play with the rotational position of the pot and get the detent in your sweet spot.

· Registered
2,879 Posts
Thank you! That sounds like what I'm after!
I will be keeping this one on the back burner...possibly for a really long time...:plain:
Is a cool idea... Sometimes its just fun to have a challenge too!

I looked around on the web a bit yesterday and found multiple detent pots, but the only single detent pots I could find were ones with the detent exactly in the center, as in a "balance" knob on your stereo system.

Found some multiple detent knobs (link below) and wondered if it would be possible to fill all of the positioning holes except one (set of 3)? The beauty of that particular method is that the knob is where it all happens, so it could be adapted to any pot with the right sized threaded shaft.

http://www.ehcknobs.com/pdfs/Detent Knob.pdf

On a side note... They have quite a selection of knobs!

Control Knobs Home - EHCKnobs.com

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.