Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a Dimarzio Evolution Bridge and Neck, and a Dimarzio HS-3, now I was gonna just wire them into my already existing tone and volume pots, but I decided to buy new ones, since I figured my baby needed a tuneup, so I bought 500K pots and some resistors and capacitors, and I dissassembeled the previous pots, and I think I have my wires crossed now that I have the new ones in, because I plug my guitar in, and absolutey no sound comes out at all, How do I go about getting completely new wiring for just the output jack and the pots, do i need just a standard
pos(+) and neg(-) , or is a certain kind needed, and also is a capacitor really necessary? Any help will be greatly appreciated..

Thanks,
Josh

·
Registered
787 Posts
The cap is only needed for the tone pot(although sometimes you will see a very small cap accross the in/out lugs on the volume to keep things bright as you back off the volume). If you can't figure it out by using the DiMarzio diagrams or copying another similar guitar, I would just take it to a local repair shop and pay them the hour to wire it up. I don't know what the resisters you bought would be used for. Did you buy these parts from a music store or a radio shack? If you google "guitar wiring" you may find some help there. If you were near nashville, I could help you but TX is a little far. If you still want to tackle it, best to remove everything and start from scratch. Maybe just wire the bridge PU to the switch and volume pot. Once you get that much working, start adding the other stuff. Your name (RG270L), does that refer to a lefty guitar? If so, you might want to order reverse taperpots for a left handed guitar or they may not work quite the same as the old ones(audio taper pots work different in reverse-righty pots in a lefty guitar will be reverse taper).

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Try using the Ibanez wiring diagram for the guitar you're trying to match such as a JEM layout.

http://www.ibanez.com/support/wiringdiagrams.aspx

Albee has made some good points and suggestions on how to narrow down finding the problem.

Sounds like you don't have a open circuit going there.... so check you have all grounds required in the diagram. You will need a DMM (multimeter) for this.

As far as jacks.... the standard one will do fine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts