Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well this year I’ve bought 5 MIJ guitars made between 1983 to 1986. They are three Ibanez, a Washburn, and an Aria Pro II. It’s amazing, but three of them were only a few (less than $40.00) dollars more than the prices that the guitars sold for when they were new.

Two of them need fret replacement. (1985 Washburn G-1 and Ibanez RS 430)
Musical instrument Guitar Musical instrument accessory Guitar accessory String instrument accessory

Musical instrument Guitar String instrument accessory Guitar accessory Musical instrument accessory

One needs a fret leveling (Ibanez AR405TV, an acoustic electric)

Musical instrument Guitar String instrument Musical instrument accessory Guitar accessory

The 3 above will be my projects for the coming months, around the time we all start bitching about the constant rain (I’m in Oregon, and the rain can’t come soon enough honestly)

I got a 1985 or 1986 Ibanez Roadster II RG 110 (at least I think that is what it is) that had a ground problem and a push/push volume for coil split that needed rehab, and the jack needed replacement. I also wound up reflowing solder on all of the pots/wires. I bought some parts for the bridge from a kind forum member here at Jemsite. I finished work on this guitar last month. The frets had practically no wear, and it us now my best playing S style guitar.

Musical instrument Guitar String instrument Guitar accessory Musical instrument accessory

And finally, we come to my new to me, Aria Pro II Knight Warrior. It has a few minor dings, etc but is all original and has a really good feeling neck. There is enough fret metal left for me to use it now, but will need frets probably in the next year or two. This guitar came with medium frets, and when I refret it I will go medium-jumbo and either fill and recut, or replace all together, the nut. It has a coil split push/pull on the volume pot. The Kahler Flyer trem was a bitch to get set up, but I finally figured it out. It is dialed in now, and I shouldn’t have to re set it again.

That trem is a string eating machine. I have heard of some people soldering the ball ends of their plain strings to reinforce them at the loop, but I will try some different strings. Does anybody have experience with S.I.T. Strings? I’ve heard that they are reinforced at the ball end, but have never used their electric guitar Strings.

Musical instrument Guitar Musical instrument accessory Guitar accessory String instrument accessory

Do any of you have any project guitars you will be fixing in the next few months? I really don’t expect to be done with my upper 3 guitars until after Christmas. I am a few tools away from being able to do a complete refret, but I will get there eventually.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I have another project to do first. I am going to gut my new Artis AR520 HFM and put in Dimarzio’s. Cream coil SD’s. Going to replace the pots as well. CTS and will have to ream the holes and find new knobs.
Musical instrument Guitar String instrument String instrument Plucked string instruments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts