Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.
Had my pickups changed in my H-S-H style Pacifica the other day ( it's my favourite guitar so I had it done by a pro as I'm not experienced at soldering and pickup wiring yet.)
He mentioned the pickups were at the right height, but the humbuckers seem rather low to be honest.

The pickups are as follows
Air Zone (Bridge)
Blue Velvet (Middle)
Air Norton (Neck)

The distance between the Air Zone and the low E string [6th string] (with 24th fret pressed) is around 5mm. The distance between the Airzone and the high E string [1st string] (with fret 24 pressed) is around 4mm.

The distance between the Blue Velvet and the low E string [6th string] (with 24th fret pressed) is around 5mm. The distance between the Blue Velvet and the High E string [1st string] (24th fret pressed) is around 4mm. [NOTE; the magnets on this pickup are staggered.]

The distance between the Air Norton and the low E string [6th string] (with 24th fret pressed) is around 5mm also. The distance between the Air Norton and the high E string [1st string] (with 24th fret pressed) is around 5mm.

Are these heights too low? Would you recommend I raise any/all pickups? Would raising the Air Zone and Air Norton to around 2.5mm mean that the Blue Velvet's would get sort of 'drowned out' in split (AirZone/Blue Velvet and Air Norton/Blue Velvet) positions? I don't want the humbuckers output to be low due to height, I want them to be at the output they should be giving out, not being lowered for the sake of a low output single coil (if that makes sense.)

What do you think?
Thanks
Regards
Jon

·
Registered
787 Posts
It kind of comes down to personal preference. I usually set the bridge pickup as high as I can without the strings touching if I fret at the last fret, or if I dig in a little with my picking hand. I set the neck a little lower as the strings have a wider range of vibration there. I tend to drop the middle way low as it gets in my way. This is too low to sound good by itself but it still yields a nice tone in the 2 and 4 position(I just never use the middle alone anyway).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts